Author Topic: Something Someone Might Want to Try  (Read 3792 times)

pddesertrat

Something Someone Might Want to Try
« on: January 11, 2015, 02:40:45 pm »
One item I received for Christmas was a pair of Gorilla Grip gloves.  They are a very lightweight, tight fitting glove with a rubber like facing on the fingers and palms. 

I was not sure what I was going to do with them until today.  I am working on scrolling an elk scene and decide to try out the glove.  I've been having trouble gripping the wood with the pattern on it while moving the pattern away from me (using spiral blades).  My hands would slip some.  With the gloves on, no more problem.  I like wearing them.  Gives a firmer grip all the way around. 

Also I have read of people getting cold hands when scrolling.  These gloves may help that some. 

I know some will argue that you should never wear gloves when operating machinery, and I agree on some machinery that is a concern, but on a scroll saw and tight fitting gloves, I feel it is not an issue. 

Just thought I would throw this out there for what it is worth..

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Something Someone Might Want to Try
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 07:28:00 am »
Hmm, good idea. I don't think I would need them but this could very well be useful for some scrollers. I don't see any safety issue wearing gloves with a scroll saw as the reciprocating blade only travels a few inchhes.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

mlwmerk

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:28:27 am »
I think the key is in your original statement - light weight and tight fitting.  The gloves would be useful in handling wood, especially plywood. 

I bought a couple of pieces of birch plywood at Home Depot yesterday and got a few splinters handling them in the cart and then when I got them home.  I hate splinters.  I should have used gloves of some sort. 

If the gloves you mention are tight fitting I see no reason to not use them while using power tools.  We are taught to keep our fingers away from blades, etc. so the tight fitting and gripping ability of the gloves would, it seems to me, to be an advantage.

Did I mention that I hate splinters.  Especially from PT wood.  They are the worst.  The splinter stites get inflamed if not the splinters are removed promptly.  Did I say I hate splinters.

Walter in CT

thumbs

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:10:32 am »
I think what Walt is saying is that he hates splinters  LOL I might take a look at them due to the fact that my table saw is in my unheated garage. I use sleds and jigs so I have plenty of room from the blade but Baby , it's cold outside-----------Richard                    p.s.  all th rest of my shop is down in the basement except my table saw & planner

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 10:26:23 am »
Those gloves sound good to me.
Walter I hear by the grapevine you and Mr Splinter don't get along.
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:45:49 am »
Protection from splinters?  Not sure how well these gloves would do that.  They are very thin,  Mainly for gripping.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 11:54:04 am »
Any problem with your hands sweating inside the gloves?  My disposable gloves i use for staining and painting my hands sweat inside them.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

pddesertrat

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 12:32:46 pm »
Well even though my shop is inside, it is cooler now (68') then in the summer.  No sweating now.  These gloves are not none porous like latex gloves, the back of the glove is a tight stretching mesh.  In real warm environment the palms may sweat.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 01:30:47 pm »
These are the kind I use and think they are great.  They come in different sizes. No sweating. I do cut the wrist band  off, it makes them easier to slip on and off.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MTXKYM/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1421087230&sr=1&keywords=atlas+nitrile+gloves
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 11:38:29 am »
Thanks for the reply.  May have to get some.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 06:18:45 pm »
Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry  Interesting.    I solved the slipping issue by using a rubber finger sleeve/tip...  I get them at Staples.  VERY cheap. 
MOONIE

SMF

Teknoromi