Author Topic: The End Of My Woodworking Days  (Read 4897 times)

Offline campasano

• View Profile
The End Of My Woodworking Days
« on: June 20, 2015, 11:02:14 am »
I have been woodworking for 68 years since I was introduced to it in my High School Shop. I have really enjoyed it over the years but sadly I must quit. As of late I have had trouble breathing and have developed a chronic cough. I visited my doctor and after a few tests and X-Rays he told me that all of the toxic sawdust I breath in has weakened my lungs so He advised me to quit before my condition worsens. I have decided to take his advice. I will continue to visit this site as I enjoyed interfacing with the many great members on the forum. Over the next couple of months I will be selling all of my tools,woodworking books and plans of which I have Hundreds.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: The End Of My Woodworking Days
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:17:24 pm »
Although probably for the best truly sad.  Even with better dust collection and a better mask that is the decision?  I hope you will find another hobby to help fill your time.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 03:06:56 pm »
I know it is hard to give up something that we have enjoyed doing for so many years.  But the world moves on.  You will find something to to enjoy at least as much as wood working.  I had to give up my lively hood as an artist with paint brushes but found the scroll saw.  Stay in touch!

I'm from North Dakota

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 03:31:53 pm »
Hi, Mike,
I'm sorry to hear of the sad prognosis and the necessity to quit wood working.
Glad you are still going to visit the site.
You are in my prayers.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 11:09:10 pm »
Mike - sorry to hear of your health issues.  I to have worked with wood all my life and don't look forward to the day I have to stop. Keep positive. We're praying for you. Brian

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 12:29:23 am »
Very sorry to hear of your condition.   Perhaps you could learn to make patterns or even teach how to scroll.  Just some ideas Mike.  May the good Lord grant you better health.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 02:53:24 pm »
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your health problems.  Our garage is not air conditioned and only has minimal heat (E. central Iowa.)  In the winter, I do wood carvings on the kitchen table.  Use basswood.  Maybe you would enjoy this. 

As a possible downside for you, I bandsaw my own carving blanks.  Basswood has a fine, sticky sawdust.  Many decades ago I took lessons from this guy.

http://www.slimswoodshed.com/   (This site won't open for me now, But this one will:)
https://roadtrippers.com/us/harmony-mn/attractions/slims-woodshed-and-museum?lat=40.80972&lng=-96.67528&z=5

I'm pretty sure he would sell you blanks, as well as others on the web.

jerry

mlwmerk

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:26 am »
Hi Mike.  I thought a long time before I replied.  Typically mine is the "contra" point of view.  I hope I don't offend you.  This is just my opinion. 

I am aged 76 and hope I make it to 83 and past.  Albeit I don't have sever breathing problems yet.

According to this site's profile you are aged 83.  Much too young to give up your hobby.  Unless you are completely debilitated or incapacitated - I say, to heck with it, keep going. Like the legendary "Casey Jones" of Railroad fame, go out with your hand on the throttle wide open.  You probably have a supplementary oxygen device.  Just turn the valve open more and "keep on keeping on".

I bowl in a seniors bowling league and there is a lady who wears an oxygen tube fixture on her face.  To facilitate her approach to bowl, she wheels the tank cart to the edge of the approach and uses a really long tube to connect her as she makes her delivery.  She scores OK, but heck, we seniors are just glad to be there!

Don't sell your tools - you won't get much $$ unless you have some truly antique collectors items.  Why not give them to a grandson. Baring that, give them to the local senior center or some needy charity in your name. 

As the character in the novel "Moby Dick" did, make your own casket.  Or, When the time comes, have them bury you with some of your tools.

My point is, unless you can't get out of bed, keep scrolling and "wood playing" and go for it!!

God Bless.

Walt in CT

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 07:15:38 am »
I agree! There may be days you won't feel 100%, but if you're still able, & have the desire, keep truckin' brother!! Your advice will always be more than welcome here, & your wisdom & knowledge of woodworking is very much appreciated! Take it a day at a time & see how things go. I lost my livelihood due to health reasons. It was a tall hill to climb afterwards. So I buried myself in my woodworking. A year ago, I had major back surgery, & am facing two more. There are days the pain is pretty ugly, but I find myself something to do on the scroll saw, & kind of get it off my mind awhile. Hang in there, my friend! You'll be ok!!😊😊 you're in our thoughts & prayers. Enjoy your day!
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 09:10:40 am »
I would consider some of the advice given.  Each individual has to make their own decision, however.  I am 76 and have COPD and have managed to keep sawing as long as the humidity doesn't get too high.  I also belong to a bowling league where last year had to start wearing knee braces due to arthritis of the knees.  I have been advised to quit both activities but decided that as long as I can keep going I will.  I have recently begun wood carving with a group so have limited some of the other activities.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 02:33:07 am »
Heck do something even if it's wrong  like finding a new mist---s nah better think of something you really can do. LOL
Someone beat me to it saying to take up whittling those chips are way too big for you to snort unless you have the nose of a horse or elephant. I can't do nearly half of what I used to but I still play with guns and tinker with wood, although the cost of ammo is ridiculous. There must be something you would enjoy doing so just do it.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 06:56:54 am »
My Friend after reading all of OUR FAMILIES ADVICE about this subject I have learned a thing or two.
Deal with the Dust Issue more seriously.  My method I feel is satisfactory, but using the mask more
is important also.  Enjoy each day the Good Lord allows one to get up from a Good nights sleep and
think Positive about All.  I feel like the people in these posts that say Keep On Trucking so to speak. 
You will be in My Everyday Prayers.                     God Bless.............Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 01:39:11 pm »
My sincere thanks to all of you for the kind words and encouragements, well it is official, I went back to the doctor yesterday and was told that I have COPD, which was caused by my inhaling toxic sawdust over the years. it is not curable and I was told to stay away from woodworking if I value my life. I will take some time to adjust my life and in the near future I will get into wood carving. Stay well my friends, I will keep in touch.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 02:07:23 pm »
Mike I have been diagnosis with COPD, more for smoking than anything else. I use Spriva inhalior once a day.  When I saw I use a vacuum and a fan blowing out the door, also a face mask and I don't seem to have that much problems.  Give it a try, anything that would help, don't give up the work.  My sawing is what keeps me going, I enjoy it to much to give it up.  My wife says that is what keeps out of other trouble, what ever that means.
Jeff44

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 07:25:11 am »
Hi Mike, sad to see you have to stop scrolling.
In my opinion doctors advice is good to follow so changing to carving is a good idea.
But I sure hope you stay on the forum and stay part of our "family" here.
Will pray for you.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi