Author Topic: FD UR blades  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
FD UR blades
« on: February 28, 2016, 07:14:45 am »
I've been using #5 and #7 FD-UR blades with success, then a pattern yesterday required the #3 blade.

The 5 and 7 blades pull to the right, I have grown used to it.  Surprise, the #3 pulls LEFT!

What the?  So I thought maybe I had it installed upside down, I swapped it end for end, and it still pulls left.

Has anyone else noticed this?  I this normal for the #3, or did I just get a weird batch?

And on that blade question of upside down or not.  Someone please definitively define the top of the blade please?  The site says they are marked, some have a very faint dot on the clamping part, others do not.  But all have a "ripple" on one end only.  So is the ripple the bottom or top?

Thanks
Jim

Offline Clem

• View Profile
Re: FD UR blades
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:50:35 am »
Hi Jim
I use the #3 most of the time and I don't notice it cutting to the left. Not sure what the problem is there. Maybe someone else will pop in here and answer your question. Also the "dimple" on the blade goes to the top. I hope at least that part of the answer helps.
Clem

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »
Blades will always pull to the right because of the way they are made.

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:14:09 am »
Clem, thanks for dimple explanation, appreciate it.

Crusty - I know, but as I said, this one does not, it pulls left, hence my question.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:34:20 am »
Jim,
I have noticed pulling to the right with FD blades but it was quite a while ago.  One thought I had then was that perhaps the blade was dull, even though it was new.  I recall that when I changed the blade, the new one pulled to the left, as it should.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

SMF

Teknoromi