Author Topic: The Color Red in an intarsia  (Read 3649 times)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
The Color Red in an intarsia
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »
I am thinking about making an intarsia piece from the Holiday Ornaments edition of Scroll Saw Magazine. They have the pieces with red santa hats. The problem is I am not sure what wood would best be used to get a red color. Or, should I use a light color wood and stain it red somehow? Any suggestions?

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: The Color Red in an intarsia
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »
It's hard to get here in the U.K. , but bloodwood is a nice deep red colour if you can get it.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:00:07 pm »
It all depends on the look you're trying to achieve.  There are several types of wood that are various shades of Red you can use, i.e.

Aromatic Eastern Red Cedar, Pink Ivory, Padauk, Bloodwood and Redheart.

Or, as you said, use Pine or a light color wood and stain it.

Another choice: Paint it Red using an Acrylic paint that can be found any Hobby or Craft store.     
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 04:19:31 pm »
I think for the expediency of it, I will just use acrylic paint. For next year I will try to get some bloodwood. I will try to make it this week or next, when I do I will be sure to post it. Thanks for the suggestions.

KindlingCreator

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:58:03 pm »
I have used a couple of methods that seem to work.  If you want the grain to show through and use acrylic paint, it can be thinned with water and applied in light washes.  This is common in carving.

I have also used the alcohol based dyes that typically are used for stamping.  The dyes go a long way, can be messy, but dry relatively quickly.  The color can bleed, so multiple colors on a single piece can be tricky.

daliclimbs

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:01:27 am »
If you want a pure red color with grain showing try liquid rit dye. For this method you have to make sure the pieces are VERY Well sanded! And grain tear out and you will get uneven colors.

daliclimbs

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:01:27 am »
If you want a pure red color with grain showing try liquid rit dye. For this method you have to make sure the pieces are VERY Well sanded! And grain tear out and you will get uneven colors.

Offline troy_curtis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:49:11 am »

That advice must be good, it was worth repeating. But seriously, I will keep that in mind. I painted this one, but would love to experiment with a dye. Good to know that dying it will keep the wood grain look. Thanks for the advice.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:11:08 am »
Here is a sample of what Bloodwood looks like as a Santa hat and suit. Be aware that Bloodwood can be difficult to work with, it's very dense and makes cutting it tricky.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:13:32 am by TripleB »

ChuckD

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:16 pm »
Also, after all that work cutting bloodwood there is no way to prevent it from turning brown in a few years..  I cut and dye poplar for red.  Instead of water I use rubbing achohol so the wood grain don't change.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:47 am »
That Bloodwood hat is about the same color as some Mesquite.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Scroll Down

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:47:09 pm »
Can you thin the craft paint with alcohol?

Plan on doing a rose pattern for Valentines day using pine. Haven't had time to start ordering woods yet and there is no local supplier.

SMF

Teknoromi