Author Topic: To Any Dog People  (Read 2307 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
To Any Dog People
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:07:13 am »
Rather than see him go to the pound we've taken in a 1 1/2 yr. old min - pin/ Chihuahua cross. He's a really sweet, well behaved little guy _but_  he's forgotten that the place to do his business is outside (the reason he was going to the pound). Any dog people out there care to make a suggestion? Thank you, Barry.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: To Any Dog People
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:38:19 am »
I hesitate to write this because so many people are sensitive, but it is an old school method that works and doesn't harm the animal.  If you find a gentler method, have at it!

Assemble a kit containing: white vinegar, Tabasco sauce, and whatever you use to clean up after a mess.
When the dog has an accident, lead him to the site.  There is no need to rub his nose in it or anything of the sort, just express your disapproval without yelling and getting excited.   You don't want to scare him, just let him know you aren't happy.  Put 1 drop of the Tabasco sauce on a finger tip and rub it on his gum above the teeth.  I know it sounds tough, but it doesn't hurt.  It just causes an uncomfortable puckering sensation (try it on yourself, I have).  Then take him immediately outside while you clean the area.  The last step is to apply the white vinegar to the cleaned area to remove the scent.  It is important to start this on a weekend or whenever you can be home for a couple of days.  If you follow the procedure every time he will stop very quickly.  If you are intermittent in the procedure it will take much much longer to work.

I love my dogs and wouldn't have even attempted this without trying the sauce on my own gums first!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:23:43 pm »
Thanks Bill. I've never heard of the tabasco sauce but I know I have to clean the area thoroughly when they mess in the house or they think it's the new toilet. Cheers, Barry.

ChuckD

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 04:05:28 pm »
I have trained several dogs with the small cage method.  Put them in the cage (which is only slightly bigger than them) at night and let them out the first thing in the morning.  High praise when the do their thing before you let them in.  If they have an "accident" put them in the cage expressing your displeasure vocally.  Let them stew there for a while then let them outside where the praise is again forthcoming.  If you don't see them do it in the house, take them to it and show your unhappiness again then back to the cage.   Never beat or rub the nose in it.  I don't think they understand what you are doing.  I had a dog that when I did not let her out in time (in other words my fault) she would cry and crawl to her cage by herself,.  This is one way to train yourself and the dog.  Good luck.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:32:19 pm »
I agree with Chuck. A dog in a small cage will not do their business where they sleep unless you ignore them. When you take them out of the cage take them outside immediately.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:49:45 pm »
We have been successful with the box method, we call it kennel training.  The box (kennel) also has become a place our dogs will go to when they want their own quiet time.  Both our dogs have their own kennel.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:43:57 am »
Most of the folks in the "trade" crate train their dogs from puppyhood and they put them to bed in there at night. As Dan stated they hate to have to sleep in thier own mess and respond to it quite readily. Now and then you will get a really stubborn one that will defy you but eventually the regular hours and prompt trip outdoors to their toilet area will win through. A command to go Pee or your choice of word repeated over and over untill they do their busines followed with "good dog go pee", and a reward of petting and a treat (simply some dry kibble works fine) soon they will go on command and this comes in really handy if you are traveling and pull into a rest stop. Hook up your flexy lead and trout out to the potty area and give the command. and don't scrimp on the praise any time they do what you want. They usually live to please you! By the way the more excited you sound to them the better they like it, so pretty soon you'll be making the baby talk with squeals sounds yourself. LOL Dogs love it!
Oh did I mention all of our dogs are crate trained and sleep there at night. My wife is a professional trainer / handler / breeder with over 60 years in "the trade". Another tip, feed them in their crate and let them take a little nap an hour or so, then take them right outside you will have good results. We only feed once a day in the evening which also causes them to be quieter at night  (a hungry dog is awake which is why guard dogs are fed in the morning) and dogs systems respond well to that, as wild creatures they often wouldn't get a real meal every other day or so, so they evolved the ability to adapt to it. Dogs are great beggars and we humans are such soft touches that we usually over feed them. You are NOT doing them any favors they suffer from obesity as much as humans do. Be kind, keep them slim!
Motor mouth,
Gabby
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:53:44 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

pddesertrat

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 08:58:26 am »
Reminds me of the story I heard.  A guy had a puppy that needed to learn to potty outside.  The dog would do his business, the guy would rub the puppy's nose in it, scold the puppy and throw him outside via the open kitchen window.  After a few times the puppy learned.  He would do his business and jump out the kitchen window!  Most likely not true, but humorous.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 09:38:15 am »
I guess I am lucky as my Weimaraner has never had a problem about going outside.  He will even wake me up if he needs to go during the night by running between the bed and the door.  At 110 lbs, that makes enough noise to get me up.  He would never go into a crate but has his place on one side of the bed.  He has food available whenever he wants and also gets 1/2 a slice of bacon and an egg every morning and a hotdog rolled in a slice of bread every evening.  He especially likes it with hot mustard.  The vet said something about his weight but since he maintains a constant weight decided it was ok.
I got one of those magnetic screens for the patio door so he can go during the day when he needs to.  Have to close the door at night as had unwelcome company.   Had a mouse get in but he caught it for me.

SMF

Teknoromi