Author Topic: Hammers on sale.... for personalizing  (Read 1034 times)

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
Hammers on sale.... for personalizing
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:20:10 pm »
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hammers.html?limit=60

Theses hammers used for personalizing are NOT to be used as Tools.... DECORATION ONLY as the handles are weakened by the cuts.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:46:55 pm by TheMelster »
GO PACK GO

countryscroller

Re: Hammers on sale.... for personalizing
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 05:22:46 pm »
Thanks for the link.

IBMer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:14:05 pm »
My experience with Harbor Freight hand tools is that they tend to fail under stress.    Yes, they will give you a new one with no questions asked, BUT that doesn't help you personally when your wrench broke that caused you to skin your knuckles to the bone.     Don't get me wrong, I buy plenty of tools from them, but usually tools that I only plan to use for one job.    Yes, most places want double the money, but slicing a finger off due to a tool failure is even more painful to bear.     I have several scars on my hands as evidence to a wrench set my ex-wife bought me from Harbor Freight.  I had 2 wrenches snap off in my hand that sliced but good.   Their power tools, although very loud seem to hold up ok for light duty use, but the hand tools can be scary.    Always wear hand and eye protection when using any tools... 

Darn, I was trying to find the picture of my mangled hand after the broken wrench.   No kidding, you could see the white bone in two places of my thumb.    Of course I didn't go the hospital, not with 3 bottles of CA (Crazy Glue) handy.    I glued the cuts closed and finished working on my Jeep.   

J.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:33:53 pm »
I don't think you get it IBMer. They are buying the hammers to cut names in them with a scrollsaw. It is to give away as a gift or to sell, so therefore they are looking for inexpensive hammers. It is not intended to be used in the shop or other purposes js. You are right however about the tools you buy at Harbor Freight.  8)  
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

king310

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:15:59 pm »
Russ sometimes you just have to hit them in the head with a hammer to get their attention.If that fails get a bigger hammer! ;D

IBMer

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:02:20 pm »
You know, I was going to say something earlier..   I was thinking, but Won't cutting a name into a handle ruin it for the purpose of hammering.     Now I get it, you are making decorations..   For looks only.    Heck in that case, Harbor Freight Tools are perfect.

I have a love-hate relation with HF.   One day I went to buy a pipe wrench.  By the time I got to the register, all I had left in my hand was a handle.  The jaw and gear had fallen off.   Found them in the isle.   I picked up the parts and put them back on the shelf. 

On the other hand, I bought their 7,000 Winch, mounted it on my Jeep and pulled myself out of mud holes and creek beds more than once with ease.   Never had a problem with it, and it cost a quarter what everyone else was asking.   

John

SMF

Teknoromi