Author Topic: drilling a hole  (Read 2704 times)

Offline hayu

• View Profile
drilling a hole
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:05:53 pm »
How do I drill a hole with out chipping it out? Its driving me crazy.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
Re: drilling a hole
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:37:45 pm »
try slowing your bit speed down, & use a backer behind your work piece for starters.

If you're using a drill press, try not to drill w/as much downward pressure. Let the drill bit do the work, & you be the speed. The harder you push down as you're drilling, you'll have the problems you are.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:06:10 pm »
A lot depends on the size of hole and thickness of material but, for the most part, "sawdust703" hit the nail on the head! :)
A backer board and a bit less pressure will solve most problems with hand held drill or drill press either one.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:56:29 pm »
In addition to a backer board try a needle point bit. Regular metal drill points bullnose there way through the material. Needle point drills like forester bits cut the outer diameter first before cleaning out the hole. But even these bits will chip out the bottom if dull, forced aggressively, or not held down firmly enough. I try to always try to have a sacrificial board attached to my work so I can not worry about bottom chipping. Good luck. Cheers Brian

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 08:08:41 am »
BOARD UNDER WHAT YOUR DRILLING AND SHARP DRILL BIT AND SMOOTH DOWNWARD MOTION. 
Danny  :+}

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 10:09:29 am »
In addition to a backer board try a needle point bit. Regular metal drill points bullnose there way through the material. Needle point drills like forester bits cut the outer diameter first before cleaning out the hole. But even these bits will chip out the bottom if dull, forced aggressively, or not held down firmly enough. I try to always try to have a sacrificial board attached to my work so I can not worry about bottom chipping. Good luck. Cheers Brian

I think the "needle point" bits that you refer to are called "BRAD POINT" bits and work the best for all wood working projects.
On the larger FORESTNER bits, I drill ALMOST all the way through and then when the lead point breaks through the back, turn the board over and drill back through using the small hole as reference to eliminate chip-out of the wood. Makes for a nice clean hole from either side. I do the same when using hole saws. I use both styles of bits on the drill press only.
BUT, for most scrolling type work (I'm thinking of fret work) a much smaller hole is required. As small and smaller than 1/16" and even down to numbered bits, there is not much option, and that is where the backer board is a must .

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 01:49:48 pm »
Rob - you hit the nail on the head. Cheers Brian

SMF

Teknoromi