Author Topic: cuttin plastic  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Jimm

• View Profile
cuttin plastic
« on: September 03, 2019, 09:19:04 pm »
I was trying to make a number placard for my mailbox. I previously made one out of 1/8 Baltic birch and finished it with 4 coats of poly. I guess I didn't get it sealed well enough for the Florida weather and it fell apart. I decided to make them out of plastic. I had a cheap cutting board I had bought to make runners for a tablesaw sled. I printed my pattern and tried to cut it bet the plastic melted and sealed the cut behind the blade. I tried slowing down blade speed and feed rate but no luck still seals the kerf. Any suggestions?

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: cuttin plastic
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 04:23:55 am »
Steve has a couple of patterns were he cut plastic and the instructions were

The acrylic in 1/8” Thick. Leave the protective paper on both side of the acrylic while cutting. Apply the pattern directly to the protective. I used a #1 scroll reverse blade. The saw was set to a medium speed

If you have already removed protective paper you may be able to wrap in painters tape, box tape or shelf liner.

I know when I cut out a cake topper I used FD Ultra reverse #1 and did not have a problem.   I had the protective paper on.

Don

Offline Jimm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:58:50 am »
Thanks I was using a number 7 blade with no tape just the pattern. This stuff I'm cutting is about 3/8 inch thick.

Offline Jimm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 02:27:38 pm »
Slowed my saw down as slow as it will go and reduced my feed rete to a crawl. Now it is cutting, the blower pumps based on motor so I have to keep blw=owing it off as I cut but at least it is working.

SMF

Teknoromi