Author Topic: key chain nametags  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Jimm

• View Profile
key chain nametags
« on: June 23, 2019, 06:55:08 pm »
I have made 4 name tags from Steve's  design, 3 from 3/4 cherry and 1 from 4/4 purpleheart. the cutting wasn't bad but I left them 3/4 and 4/4 thick respectively. I am now going to sand them but they look way too thick. Those who have made these how thick did you make them. I would like to cut them down but my band saw is not that good and cutting straight line with the scroll saw is not easy for me.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: key chain nametags
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 09:29:11 am »
I have done hundreds of Steve's keychains.  My daughter is a principal and every time she changes schools I do all the teachers as Christmas presents.  I also have done lacrosse teams and baseball teams for my grandkids.  I enjoy cutting them.

I use scrap hardwood that is about 3/8 inches. Cherry is my favorite to cut but have done maple, oak, and walnut.

Don

PS:  The font has some special character like heart, asterisk, dog bone start and stop.

Offline Jimm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 10:52:59 pm »
Thanks Don, I may have to recut these to a lesser thickness, they just look clunky to me.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 04:41:08 am »
Do you have a disc sander.  I have a cheap delta (similar to the harbor freight one) that I got in a garage sale for $25. It is only the 6 inch disc and a small belt but does the job. 

If so grab keychain with a pair of pliers and sand away.  When I cut mine I am not too careful on the ends getting perfectly round so I touch up on sander. 

I have cut sometimes a little too thick and have sanded down.

SMF

Teknoromi