Author Topic: Planer....  (Read 3454 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Planer....
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:24:32 pm »
I have several 'logs' that I am going to slice for 'rounds'.

Would a "PLANER" be the way to go in order to smooth them or should I just stick to the belt sander?

These will be aprox. 3/4" when finished so starting out with about 1 1/4" rough sawn.

My main thought is how will a planer handle the 'cross grain'?

I know absolutely NOTHING about Planers!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

chief

Re: Planer....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 04:40:56 pm »
A planer would create problems with tear out of the grain.  Use the belt sander.

Online mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:45:03 pm »
Planers like to chip out pieces on cross grain, and I would think that a log would have some issues.
I think that the bark might give a planer issues. Between tearing off too much bark and dirt messing with the knives.
The size of the planer might be a concern. I have a small one, I think it is 6 or 8" wide, but the distance between the rollers is like 8"+. With regluar lumber you have things that are long and narrow, a log slice is short and wide. The slice may not even fit.

I really enjoy cutting log slices, they end up looking really cool. I use a belt sander to get them smooth and to the right thickness.

bluesuede

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:39:52 pm »
The belt sander is the way to go. I have tried feeding slices through my planer and it mostly does not work so well, I did have success with some apple a few years ago but mostly it just chips out. May have something to do with the angle of the cut slice also...
Bruce

Chachi

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:47:19 pm »
Belt or Palm sander I would say for sure GB to many problems with a Planer for making rounds.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:09:37 am »
GB you put a piece of round through your planer an expect to get chips at the other end and in between.
Planers love chewing cross grain, oh take this bit of knowledge from a former planer operator.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:57 am »
The information I received is the very reason I put the question to you all!

When I know nothing about a subject I go to the most expert people I know and here they are!

Thanks guys!
I will just stock up on 3 X 21 belts and sand away.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 06:38:24 am »
The only other option I can think of is if you had access to a drum sander.  Might be a bit quicker than a belt sander and probably much easier on the operator.   ;)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:05:51 am »
I agree with the others. As an owner/operator for many years , planers do not work well on cross grains and especially on sliced rounds. A sander would be the way to go.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 10:10:57 am »
You are getting the right advice GB.  I hope to pick up a drum sander this weekend at the woodworking show.  I already have a good planer.  Both can thickness wood, but each has its own place in the shop.  I get a lot of use from my stationery belt sander as well.  You can often find a used one cheap and they do come in handy.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 10:21:45 am »
For the few I will end up with I think my HF 3 X 21 should do the trick.
Often get good deals on sanding materials from PeachTree Woodworking out of Atlanta.

Thanks for the info!

~~~GB~~~

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 10:08:10 pm »
GB, i've seen pictures where a router was used for this. i dont remember where,but it will work.
sorry i cant tell you anymore about this

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 06:43:51 am »
Now THAT is a 'scary thought'!

~~~GB~~~

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 01:48:02 am »
It really wouldn't be that hard to do GB.  I have used a router with a homemade large baseplate to make "routed bowls" for Christmas gifts, and the principle would be the same.  Buy a large piece of clear acrylic, bore a hole for the bit in the middle and mount it to the router as a base plate.  Place reference guides alongside the material to be cut (this could just be 1 by material) and use a wide bit to make shallow passes with the router.  It works well as long as you don't set up for too big a bite.  I use a bowl cutting bit and it worked out great.  Could save you a lot of time.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

ChuckD

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 02:43:23 pm »
Depends on how much you have to take off, but if you build a simple jig and don't be in a hurry, a router will work.  I have done it and it does a good job.

SMF

Teknoromi