Author Topic: Broken Blower  (Read 4131 times)

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
Broken Blower
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »
I bought my saw used and the blower didn't work, the diaphragm is bad, so I found a little personal fan at Wallmart for $6.00 and this is what I ended up with. It works surprisingly well as long as your saw doesn't vibrate too much...You might want to wear an apron or a work shirt as the dust does tend to blow back on you.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:03:16 pm by TripleB »

CNLNC

Re: Broken Blower
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:45:44 pm »
Some of the folks on this forum have recomended using a fish tank air pump in place of the saws blower when it breaks. I bought one at PETCO which came with all the tubing and zip-tied it to my saw using the existing flexible nozzle and it works great.
Hope this helps, and good luck.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:29:44 pm »
Drat went back to look at the photo again and lost all I had written.
 My thought was you could make a swivel arm to mount the fan on, that you could swing away or back to you as needed. Cut a piece long enough and strong enough to support the fan. Drill a hole through it and the board you have zip tied to the saw. Use a bolt with a couple of flat washers and a NYLOCK nut to mount it and keep it from coming loose. You would want to snug it up enough for friction to keep it where you placed it. Should be handy too when the weather warms up even if you get an aquarium pump. Grin!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:18:43 pm »
It needs to blow from the side or over your shoulder to keep the dust off you. I have a fan the blows from behind me to keep me cool and help direct more dust into the hood I made to keep dust from my shop. The aquarium pump works great too.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

ups34

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:47:13 am »
What size pump did you buy. Mine is too small and don't do much. Paid 12 bucks for it.

CNLNC

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:00:54 pm »
I bought the 40 gal. one ( I think). It has 2 outlet, so I used both outlets and used a "T" fitting to merge them into one. Hope this helps.

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:10:03 am »
using a fish tank air pump

*thumps up*

yep, that's best. I use one too (smallest one available is enough). Mounted some silicon tube at the arm and a small pipe at the front. It works really good.

I also dismounted the original dust blower - this made my saw a lot quieter.

regards
Torsten

Dawie

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »
I to use an aquariumpump just because I found my saw did not have enough blowing power. Attached it to the original nozzle and it works great. Use the tetratec APS 100, if in the tank it would work for a 50-100 l tank not sure what that would be in gallons.
David

tux_linux

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 04:06:20 pm »
This is how it looks on my saw:

A small fish tank pump behind my saw, the tubing ends in a pipe at the front. Simple & effective. The pump starts when I switch on power and stops when I leave my shop. They are build for permanent run - so I don't care.
The gray cap on the top of the saw is where the original bellows was mounted. I dismounted it completely.

regards
Torsten

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 12:03:34 pm »
The idea behind using an aquarium pump to replace the original equipment is ingenious. I guess a scroller is not only an artist, but also part engineer.

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »
Louis, in that, you are absolutely correct!

Graybeard's theory of "Pragmatic Engineering"...If it works when I get done and does what I want it to do I must have done a good job!

We all have little things we 'engineer' for our own use and this is a great place to show others HOW we solved a problem!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Chachi

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 10:49:49 pm »
At wal-MArt they sell a fish tank pump for a 30-60 gallon tank for 22 bucks you may want to see if yours is selling it there and if so grab one and hook it up.

marmoh

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 11:45:05 pm »
I tried the one from Wal Mart and it wasn't strong enough.  I "blow" better than it did. ;D
Need to find my way to a pet store and see if I can't find one with a little more power.  I have learned that I can't cut and have candy in my mouth at the same time and try and blow away the dust !!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 11:59:27 pm »
Marion, are you challenged by trying to walk and chew gum too?
snicker
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 03:30:34 pm »
Marion that goes along with trying to smoke a cigar while wearing a dust mask...

It just don't work!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi