Author Topic: sorts of wood.  (Read 917 times)

Offline JMAC

• View Profile
sorts of wood.
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:14:57 am »
Hallo Steve,I?m jmac from Germany , and new to scrollsawing. First of all i would like to thank you for your website it?s GREAT!!!. now the Question... what sort of woods do you use?? for example on your chineese tree pattern? Do you use vereered plywood or what ? sorry if this sounds silly but i havent a clue  :-\
you never stop learning.

tux_linux

Re: sorts of wood.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:49:12 pm »
Hey JMac, let me answer as I know more about the wood available here in Germany:

Steve uses a lot of birch ply (Birke Multiplex). You can get it at your favorite home store - just check to get a good piece of wood. Also check the box with the cutting rest - sometimes a good deal.

I also like to use beech ply (Buche Multiplex). Cuts nicer, and is much better to finish. Also looks a more worthy(*). Try it!

Other woods:

- 3/4" beech (18mm Buche) is ideal for puzzles.
- 3/4" acacia (18mm Akazie) is available at OBI. It's colored dark, near walnut (dunkel braun wie Nussbaum). Don't argue - the color comes of with a light bit of sanding. Underneath is structured wood with lots of grain - comes out beautiful with some oil.

Another good source for wood is www.designholz.com - I ordered walnut (Nu?baum) and some other woods from them. Check to order their veneer set (Funier-Set). It's a nice assortment of veneer, you can use it for bookmarks or glue them up to get thicker pieces of "custom plywood".

*)  IKEA is pretty common in Germany and all around Europe. They use a lot of birch - I feel like people are a bit feed up by this.

Offline JMAC

• View Profile
Re: sorts of wood.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:49:33 pm »
Thank?s very much for the info. i will give Obi a try and have a look at designholz. de.

you never stop learning.

SMF

Teknoromi