Author Topic: Software for compound scroll saw patterns  (Read 3387 times)

bmeyer@ckt.net

Software for compound scroll saw patterns
« on: February 19, 2016, 05:41:37 pm »
I have recently been taken hostage by compound scroll sawing.  I love it.  I have created the nautical chess set seen on U-tube for my Sailor grandson, and I want to create a medieval Chess set for my other grandson.  I cannot find but a few patterns that will work for this.  How can I create patterns for compound scrolling?  They have to be so precise to work.
Thanks
Bill

bmeyer@ckt.net

Re: Software for compound scroll saw patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:09:01 pm »
Well, a lot of people have looked at my question, but no replies.  Any body have a good guess on how to make compound patterns?  Thanks!

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 04:35:57 pm »
Well, a lot of people have looked at my question, but no replies.  Any body have a good guess on how to make compound patterns?  Thanks!

I think you will find that the traffic to your query was members who also are interested in the same thing. If no replies have been left, it is because they have no answers that may help you.

I did a google search and came up with this result...https://www.google.com.au/search?q=medieval+chess+set+pattern&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisv8Sk_afLAhUmJKYKHaHKA8gQsAQIGw&biw=1536&bih=722#tbm=isch&q=scroll+saw+medieval+chess+set+pattern&imgrc=_

You may find something in their to help you.

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:06:35 am »
You might want to try Sketch-up.  I know it was used by ??someone to do the 3d reindeer.  It is a free program for basic stuff.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:22:38 am »
I'm not sure what you are asking about.
I have made several 3D items over the years and as far as patterns, I've just drawn my own. I draw a picture of what I want the front to look like and another picture of the side and apply the pattern on the wood and start cutting.
You sometimes have to tape the drop off pieces back into place for doing the side view on the saw.
I have made chess pieces like that copying the pattern several times on a copy machine. Some times the front and side are the same shape which makes it easier like these salt and pepper shakers.

I have also just drawn the pattern directly on the wood and cut it as in the "Fish key chains"

If you are asking about how to make patterns on the computer, I have no idea!

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 02:41:19 pm »
I will try to post some photos here of a pattern I just dreamed up although I am sure others have done it but I did not find this pattern.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi