Author Topic: working height scrollsaw  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
working height scrollsaw
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:18:26 am »
My srcollsaw stands on a old kitchen cabinet and that's to high for using a normal chair.
I use a kind of barstool to sit and somtimes I stand behind my scrollsaw.

the heigth of my Scrollsaw  42.5"

So I was wondering on what heigth you all have your scrolsaw?
I'm curious to your experience to see if I keep this heigth or that I should lower it.

Marcel
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:21:57 am by Marcellarius »
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: working height scrollsaw
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:33:29 am »
I designed my own scroll saw stand with comfort in mind. From the floor to the top of the cutting surface is 28 inches. Use an armless office chair with rollers. I can sit very comfortably for hours.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:10:57 am »
I have the DeWalt stand that is made for my saw. The stand is about 32" tall and the table of the saw is 38-3/4" at the front. I used the 'tilt' back leg to get about 7d forward tilt for better viewing. I can, and do, stand sometimes but, usually I sit on a bar type stool when I work.
I also (like GB) put a piece of 3/8" plywood between the stand and saw for a table (it has the tilt too ;D) I put a coffee can on it to toss the larger scraps into on the back, left side and, I can lay a tube of blades on it if done properly so it won,t roll off. I have a large ashtray for the dull, broken,and burnt blades (and my ashes too ;D)  toward the back, right side.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:24:35 am »
Hey Marcel, Mine is like Roger's. I use a bar stool and rest my feet on the cross bar of the scroll saw stand.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:20:41 pm »
With my DeWalt I use a 'bar stool' also.
Foot switch is next to the right leg of the stand.
Still working on my shelf (light is attached to left rear corner) and I plan to cut a hole for a cup holder on one side and an ashtray on the other (I smoke) and am deciding what to do with my blade holder stand (likely will mount it on the left side of the shelf).
Before 'final' fit up I will round the corners and paint the 'shelf' DeWalt Yellow to match the saw!!!

Once I have saved enough of my allowance I will purchase the 'rolling' base so I can put it away when we need to put the car in the garage. (less critical need now since the weak tree we were worried would fall on the car blew down last week in a bad storm...damn Bradford Pear trees are only good for about 20 years and it fell the other way!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

northie66

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:31:00 pm »
I use a bar stool also. And my scroll saw is bolted to an old kitchen table.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:41:34 am »
My table top is 38" from the floor.  I tend to stand when cutting, although I have a bar stool for when I am cutting small stuff.  I put my foot pedal on a piece of plywood across the cross braces of my stand when I decide to sit.

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 02:36:31 pm »
I use a Dewalt saw on it's stand too.  A couple years ago I bought the Sears adjustable stool and I just love it.  When I get tired, I can move it up or down to get a change.  It works nicely for me to have my hands even with my bent elbows when scrolling.  I put my feet on the cross bar of the stand and switch to a trash can on either side just for a change.

ChaplainRon

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 03:05:49 pm »
I have mine on a Dewalt stand and sit on a bar stool. Since I taped my foot peddle to the stand it is nice and comfortable.

Ron

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:24:52 pm »
I use a bar type stool I picked up from an op. shop I made my own stand to the height I wanted, I also stand some times if I have a long piece to cut, I think it is a matter of personal preference
Jimbo

Becky

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:29 pm »
Mine is also the Dewalt on its stand.  I sit on a "supervisor's chair" which is basically a bar stool with a back.  Since I have back problems now and then, the back rest makes it a lot more comfortable for me.

Like Jimbo, if I am cutting a large piece of wood, I find that I usually stand up as the alternative is to either have it run into my belly when I turn it or to sit at arm's length from the saw which doesn't help me see what I'm doing!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 03:15:26 am »
Hi Becky, if you have back problems try sitting on you stool, chair and do not use back rest, in other words try and let your back support it self while sitting,and sit straight, don't slouch, I am doing exercises that I will have to do for ever if  want a pain free back, see your physio for exersises
Jimbo

Dawie

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 04:36:57 am »
Hi Marcel my saw is on an old kitchen table, from floor to sawtabletop it is 36-1/4". I use an old type office chair with saddle like seat bothe chair and seat are adjustable in hight and yoy can even tilt the chair not bad at 8 euro (about 10 dollars). O ye the chair has wheels to which is rather handy I find while sawing so I can move closer and futher away from the saw. I sit most of the time tend to stand if the pieces are a bit bigger than the normal stuff I make.
David

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:44:07 am »
I have back problems too. That is the reason I designed my own table. Also for the dust collection system I designed. I sit in a very comfortable office chair with wheels. This allows me to move back for larger pieces or close when I need to.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Becky

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:51:39 pm »
Jimbo, I mostly do sit straight without using the back but sometimes I just need to lean/stretch back and wiggle to work out the kinks.  If I was on a stool without a back just then the results would not be pretty!  I never was good at standing on my head, lol.

I had back surgery back in '93 for a ruptured disk and see a chiropractor every 6 weeks for my "rear end alignment".  The surgery was a big help but I don't think it will ever be back to where it was.  After all, there's a disk missing now.  My MD knows all about it.  I probably have the same exercises you do.  :) 

SMF

Teknoromi