Author Topic: Windows: lot of work  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
Windows: lot of work
« on: August 28, 2010, 01:27:57 pm »
well, after a slow, slower, slowst computer I did a new installation today.

A C:\ drive format and build up from scrap.....
the system is now running again, and I'm installing the program's 1 by 1 now.

I hope I get everything done today, but I guess I will be busy tomorrow to :(

why did we ever "bought" the concept, a computer that needs to be reprogramed every now and than. and be sure you have the key's and programs at hand....

I mean, if you go with your car to the garage and they say do you have the original software and manuals otherwise we can't fix this thing....

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Re: Windows: lot of work
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 04:17:53 pm »
Just had mine done took 4 hours to load up and all the updates 126 the man said, $200 that wasn't a bad price
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 04:28:31 pm »
I am glad I can do all my own computer repair. Software and Hardware.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 06:44:43 pm »
Me too! Russ...

I do mine, sister's, several friends and 8 clients that I set up several years ago...

Now in the process of getting ready to re-build my system and install Win 7 so i can 'keep up'.

Darn computer field is advancing too rapidly to stay on top any more!!!

I seem to remember Bill G. saying that 256K of RAM would be more than anyone would ever need! I now have 4 GB in my machine!!! My first desktop had 64K...and i thought I was King!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:57:35 pm »
I worked for a computer company for seven years. Designing, installing, repairing systems, both software and hardware. From banks, real estate offices, restaurants, to major companies.  8)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:59:45 pm »
Remember  Windows 7 doesn't necissararily work and play well with all older programs.
I'm from North Dakota

Dawie

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:25:55 pm »
My nephew is the pc guy around here. So he does all my repairs and upgrades. He just got himself a second flatscreen and now runs his games on duo screen each with a different function. He plays some space game thing on internet I am telling him it's starting to look like ground control behind me him with 2 screens head phone on talking and clicking away.
David

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 05:00:57 am »
after 200 "update - startups" it now looks that the basic is finished.

windows, Mcafee and office are fully updated, so now the first things to install are the keychain programs from Steve ;D
and than just waiting until someone jells that there is a program missing 8)

it's nice to have a clean fast computer again!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 05:13:34 am »
Wow Marcellarius,  200 "update - startups" . That is allot.  I have to do that to my sons computers about every six months. I format and reload Windows I make them sit and download the updates.  8)

kp91

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 08:20:51 am »
It's only getting worse, guys!  Last fall I had to download and upgrade the ROM in my TELEVISION, and the spring before the car needed to have a software upgrade for it's cold idle setting.    Computers are sneaking into everything, and so will the need to upgrade their software as needed.

Rightarm

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:22:25 am »
    I had to do this. It seemed like it took forever. Dave 8)

Emac

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 10:55:36 am »
I got tired of my 14 year old daughter putting so much garbage on her computer and crashing it. I moved her over to Linux about a month ago. So far she is loving it and it is immune to viruses. We used trial and error on which system to try. She started out with Linux Mint and then went to Dream Linux. We tried Freespire and Puppy until she wound up liking Ubuntu the best. She didn't realize we had a limit on downloading (12 GB monthly) until I got a email from my ISP telling me that we were over 20GB. Thankfully she had found the system she liked and quit downloading them. If everything goes as I plan this system will not bog down like Windows and we won't have to go through this again.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 03:04:29 pm »
RE: Linux...

I acquired a 6 year old laptop with only 512 MB of RAM.

Cleaned it out completely and installed WIN XP Pro in a clean install. Use it in a 'travel/service' mode when I have to go work on other 'puters.

Then I d/l'ed Ubuntu 10.04 and installed it in a Dual Boot configuration with the Win XP.

UBUNTU 10.04 is a dream so if you are using an earlier UBUNTU version I highly recommend upgrading to the newest stable version...<www.ubuntu.com>

The Dual Boot install split the 60 GB H/D into two partitions each of about 30 GB each so there is more than enough room to take what I need when I leave the 'nest'! It weighs just short of a Metric Ton but it was FREE! (my favorite FOUR letter word)

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Emac

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 03:26:58 pm »
I have thought about setting up my computer on a dual boot system. I have just got so used to Windoze that I have never done it. The stuff I do and the programs I use are not compatible with Linux or I would have already switched. I tell people that Linux is pretty much idiot proof and recommend first time buyers with no experience to use it. If someone is just going to surf the internet that is the way to go.

Dustyknees

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 11:50:37 am »
I recently set my PC as dual-boot to a 320 gig HD running "UBUNTU"..its fast free and virus problem free..am loving it..Jon

SMF

Teknoromi