Author Topic: Large pattern making  (Read 4745 times)

Offline juanito

• View Profile
Large pattern making
« on: April 01, 2020, 06:09:07 am »
I've been using Inkscape to come up with some designs I want to try out. Mostly signs/plaques. However, keeping the design to a single page would result on very small signs. I wanted to know how designers go about splitting designs across multiple pages since Inkscape only really supports one page. Ultimately I want to put all the pages together into a PDF I can print when I'm ready.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Large pattern making
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 06:58:48 am »
I often do larger signs in Inkscape. 

I usually design so it fits on one page, save a copy as PDF.  (Keep in mind the percentage you will ultimately enlarge)

Open in Adobe Acrobat Reader and use the poster feature and then enlarge at the percentage that will give me the size I want.  Steve gives instructions on doing this on his blog.

Also, you can change the page size in Inkscape (Document Properties >> custom size).  Save as PDF and Acrobat Reader in poster mode will split the pages and add the cut marks.

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:48 am »

Also, you can change the page size in Inkscape (Document Properties >> custom size).  Save as PDF and Acrobat Reader in poster mode will split the pages and add the cut marks.

Thanks Don.  I did not know this.

Offline juanito

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:02:52 am »
don in brooklin on,

Thanks for your response. I'll see if I can find a similar feature on my system. I work mostly on a Linux computer, so I am pretty limited to open source tools. However I do have a windows PC if I have to use Acrobat. If I find something interesting I'll post it here.

Offline juanito

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 06:58:12 am »
don in brooklin on,

Thanks for your response. I'll see if I can find a similar feature on my system. I work mostly on a Linux computer, so I am pretty limited to open source tools. However I do have a windows PC if I have to use Acrobat. If I find something interesting I'll post it here.

So the only viable option for Linux I found was "pdfposter". It almost does the job, but not quite. I guess I'll be using Windows for this particular task.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 07:01:06 am »
I am not a Linux user but there is away in Inkscape to split pages.  Here is a link to a video on Scroll Saw Village

https://youtu.be/gWwdKAxlZX0

I did a large sign yesterday and I changed my document size to what I wanted (20 x 10) and then when I went to print Acrobat spilt the pages using poster feature at 100%.  It was much easier than trying to figure out the enlargement percentage.  I was creating a multiple depth image so I had to split the colours and print separately.  Acrobat opened and split.  For the whole image it took 4 pages and when I printed top level (happy easter) it only took 3 pages.

SMF

Teknoromi