Author Topic: My New Bamboo Tablet  (Read 1053 times)

ShadowB6

My New Bamboo Tablet
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:03:04 pm »
Received my new Wacom Bamboo Capture Tablet a few days ago and for me it has been somewhat of a challenge. Not the easiest item I've seen to install and setup. Haven't tried it yet for the pattern making aspect of why I got it, but I'm sure it will prove to be a useful tool for making patterns. I just have to get used to it. For those that already use it, any advice or tips you may have to offer would be welcomed.

Mike

Old Crow

Re: My New Bamboo Tablet
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 03:26:08 pm »
Hi Mike, I didn't have any trouble setting up mine. Did you look at the tutorial that came on the CD with it?
I found that it doesn't work very well with GIMP and hardly works at all in Inkscape so I do all of my "art work" and tweaking with the tablet using Autodesk Sketch book that came with the tablet but I still use GIMP and Inkscape with the mouse for the other steps. It is a bit cumbersome going back and forth but after a bit of practice it 's no difficulty. I found that using the tablet gives more control and is more accurate than the mouse.
You are correct, there is a bit of a learning curve but I think you will like it when you get used to it.
Don R

ShadowB6

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:50:04 pm »
Thanks for the tip Don. I hadn't installed the Adobe Photoshop Elements or the Autodesk Sketchbook yet. Will do so and play with the sketchbook. Which Bamboo do you have? I got the Capture and was actually pleasantly surprised as to the size of it. The size is larger than I had thought it would be. I'm actually using the Bamboo for everything on the laptop right now so that I can increase my dependency of it.

Mike

Old Crow

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:10:21 pm »
I also got the capture and really like it but it does take some getting used to.
Don R

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18:34 pm »
Don, I'm thinking about getting one of these things. If I was following the tutorial posted earlier, would I do the "Photocopy" in Gimp save as jpg,
then touchup in the tablet software,
then back to Gimp for the paint bucket fill?
Then continue on your way through the rest of the steps.
Thanks, Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Old Crow

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:28:39 pm »
Pete, You can do the touchup and bucketfill in the tablet then "save as" then run through Inkscape to complete the pattern.
Don R

SMF

Teknoromi