Author Topic: Lubricating blade  (Read 2347 times)

Offline kruzer

• View Profile
Lubricating blade
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:19:18 pm »
Just wondering how or if anybody lubricates the blade. I know that tape over the paper does or heard it does. I've stop using the tape because I've had issues at time with saw dust getting under it. I've now prefer it now.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Lubricating blade
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »
Too avoid getting sawdust under the tape you need do a sanding of the work piece and you always need to to tack the top of the board before applying the tape after your sanding of the work piece.  Use a tack cloth or a clean cloth and wipe any loose dust off the board. 

I do not add anything to my blades to lubricate as it may cause a stain on the wood.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

UHMNL

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:03:43 pm »
You do not have to sand the wood. Glue your pattern on the wood and then use the 2" clear package tape over the whole pattern.
After the tape is on the pattern press it down with your thumb so there is no air under the tape. This eliminates saw dust getting under the tape.
I never use a lubricate on the blades.
FD Mike

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 03:09:43 pm »
I don't generally use anything, but occasionally use packing tape for really hard woods like bubinga, jatoba or ipe.  When I do, I find the light reflects off it and makes it harder to see the line, so a quick sanding with a sanding sponge helps.  Also, my dust collector seems to have a harder time when there's tape.

It's a bit harder to do and keep the pattern flat, but I now put the packing tape on the back of the pattern, then spray and attach it to the wood.  Part of the reason you get sawdust under the pattern is because it's not completely flat, or attached firmly enough, and it raises a bit when you drill the entry holes.  Just my thoughts.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:31:50 pm »
After applying clear tape I a smooth out all air bubbles with edge of old gift card

Offline kruzer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:31:10 am »
Thanks for the variety of replies. I stopped using the tape after having the dust problem. There is a video by a member on this suggesting you don't need tape and why. I could see the pattern better but wondered if I am doing more harm then good.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 01:39:43 pm »
Would any adhesive material help to lubricate the blade?  I use contact paper.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 03:15:54 pm »
I have given about everything I have read hear a try.  Also the tips I read in the Scroll Mag. 
Painters tape I gave up years ago after using this method for many years.  Packing tape I
never did get used to.  Didn't last long before I quit using it.  A member of our Forum gave
me a rundown on his way and after trying it I found I liked it. 

Sand the wood to at least 120 grit.  Use a good spray glue to the back of the pattern and
apply to the wood blank.  When finished cutting give the pattern a Spray of Spirits.  Within
a minute the pattern lifts off in one piece.  Wipe the blank with a clean cloth.  Let dry and
finish.    This is my 13 cents and I will always stick to it.....................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

UHMNL

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:33:54 pm »
Why using tape? The tape has a chemical on top, so you can on-roll the tape. This chemical releases friction and helps that the blade does not burn the wood.

FD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi