Author Topic: Round butterfly box  (Read 814 times)

Munce

Round butterfly box
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:37:40 pm »
Hello, I am making the round butterfly box for my wife's birthday for this Thursday. I did well so far, but having difficulties understanding the last part with the 3/8 dowel. I don't have a drill press so I do everything with a small dremeler. According to the instruction I am suppost to use a 1/8 inch drill bit. Seems a tad big. Just the same. I am not sure if I understand it fully. So, let me ask this. Is the 1/8th drill bit the only thing that "CUTS" the slots out? Or am I needing to set my scroller to a certain degree for a angle cut? I've been trying and trying but only seem to mess up a lot of pieces of Dowels.

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

The Munce

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
Re: Round butterfly box
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:16:44 am »
While I never built that, looking at the plan 1/8 does sound a reasonable size as it is the body. The 1/8 drill bits appears to be to make the opening for the wings which I guess corresponds to the ends of the wing tips. No law saying you have to use a drill bit to make slots try whatever you think would work with your tools at hand. Since its only a short piece of dowel for the body just make the slots with your tools and see if it looks ok if not just get a new piece of dowel and try again.

SMF

Teknoromi