Author Topic: Question about Copy rights  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Question about Copy rights
« on: March 27, 2015, 06:33:26 am »
Well have mastered designing the popular Word Art with the bigger letters and smaller words across the middle.  Yea!
     Have been thinking of designing College Sports teams.  IE:  TENNESSEE with volunteers across the middle.  OR
ALABAMA with roll tide and a few others. 

Would this be LEGAL to do for selling at a Craft Show?

Thanks to ALL for their Input......................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Copy rights
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 07:19:39 am »
Very Illegal, College and High School names and logos are trademarks/copyrights, which also covers things like their logo artworks.

Colleges generate significant revenues from licensing their names/logos, and that means they expend significant funds to shut down infringers, Your use of this would be viewed by most courts as flagrant, illegal infringement.

If you get caught the fines are very expensive (in the thousands), far more than you will ever make off the products. I would not do it.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:32:58 am »
And SERIOUSLY Russ I want to Thank You for this Advice.  Thought this might be the case, but also thought
that by using My Design it would make it OK.  Anyway just will not do this.................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:50:53 pm »
You are welcome, I just wouldn't take the chance. Now make all you want for your own personal use. Go Gators. LOL :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 07:36:29 pm »
Danny - your big/little letter overlays look very slick. Can you say how you've been designing the patterns? I apologize if it's in the posts and I missed it, but if that's the case, can you tell me where to look?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 09:49:28 pm »
Danny - your big/little letter overlays look very slick. Can you say how you've been designing the patterns? I apologize if it's in the posts and I missed it, but if that's the case, can you tell me where to look?

Ray, there are some good tutorials over on Scroll Saw Village. One on doing it with Photoshop and one with Inkscape.  I just started studying them today to try to learn.  The one on Inscape is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrnbS3smA6I&feature=youtu.be

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:37:09 pm »
Over at scrollsaw village they are making patterns using collage state and names as well as NFL team names, no logos but the names are there, is this illegal still? I used a couple of them I made a friend a houston texans sign and made me a dallas cowboys sign from these patterns on scroll saw village I didn't sale them they were strictly give a aways.

SMF

Teknoromi