Author Topic: 'filterAfan' video from Steve....  (Read 2252 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
'filterAfan' video from Steve....
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:36:45 pm »
Well what did you all think of the video from Steve today?

'filterAfan' system

Looks good to me but why cut the fan dimension down to 16" with the shroud?

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:24:43 am by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: 'filerAfan' video from Steve....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:59:01 am »
I tied 1/4 inch elastic into two large "rubber bands"  they go around the fan and the filter top and bottom. My 20 inch fan holds then a 20 inch filter, and very  quick change.   Question...How many times do you vacume the filter before changing it?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: 'filterAfan' video from Steve....
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:27:54 am »
Need BIG rubber bands?

Go to a truck stop where they do service and as the guys in the back to save you an innertube when they change one out of a tire and then cut it in narrow strips. All 'movers' use them for keeping drawers in and doors closed when moving furniture.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Terry Jackson

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:45:18 pm »
Seyco sells a 20" metal mesh screen filter and a spray to promote the dust sticking to the screen.  The whole thing is washable and re-useable.  I have one mounted on a box fan so the top is just below table height and it collects a lot of dust from both the top and bottom of the table.  Also works as a dust collector for a lot of sanding operations.  It adds a bit to the noise when cutting, but not by a lot. 

Don't mean to detract from Steve's review, just add another option.
Terry

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »
 ;) ::) Here we go again in the USA new economy.... I checked online at Home Depot for the 20" box fan,,,,they had stock at my local store, just not out for display due to seasonal sales. Setup pickup at my local store and bamb...$16.01 and it was mine. I then stopped by furnance filters and snagged a couple 20" square filters for $1.88 each. Got it setup with a thicker type double faced tape and bingo off to the races.

I just position the fan to "suck" dust at each machine I use at the time... works GREAT and I can vac off the filter as I go also.

Sure am glad I have my shop in my basement.... usage year round, can control humidity, and now my dust is under control within my new economy budget.
GO PACK GO

Offline Fab4

• Go For It
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 04:05:55 am »
Hi GB:
Steve did a super job on his presentation. I found it very interesting
I understood what the product was and what it does.
Thus the purpose of the video, right?
The video was well done

Now, do we have to go to such extremes???
Maybe not but it's nice to know that we have options.
Fab4
Paul (Fab4)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:30:30 pm »
Hey Fab, Yes, it is important to go to such extremes! Wood dust is a carcinogen. That means that it can cause lung cancer with prolonged exposure. As woodworkers, we need to protect our lungs from sawdust and the products we use to finish our projects.
Here's an example, have you ever blown your nose after cutting for a couple of hours? It's pretty gross! Imagine what's in your lungs!
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 02:12:04 pm »
I'm with you there Dan, we should all wear masks as well but wont go into that, the biggest problem in NZ that every form of health protection is so expensive, even sun block, retailer and the government put their maxi min mark ups on these product or it would seem that way
Jimbo 

SMF

Teknoromi