Author Topic: Beginner blades  (Read 11757 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner blades - The discussion RAGES!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 12:47:38 pm »
Just like with all other phases of this great hobby the 'blade' situation is a matter of personal preference with parties adamant about their particular product.
Best advice I had was try some of each and make up your own mind!
Quality, convenience, service, support all brought me to Mike's Flying Dutchman Blades.

There really is NO BEST blade...only what YOU consider the BEST!

Good Luck making up your mind!!!!

GrayBeard
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

EZgoing

Re: Beginner blades
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 01:38:28 pm »
From my understanding, a lot of it depends on personal preference.. your saw, your ability and skill levels, what you are used to etc...

I've tried several different brands on my old scroll saw, including the Olson and the Flying Dutchman blades.. I even tried the spiral saw blades..  (way too hard to control with my tired old saw).. LOL

For 'me', the Flying Dutchman blades are a hands down winner.. with the Olson blades a fairly close second (FD blades last longer, seem to be a little sharper a little easier to control and break less frequently than the Olson blades.. FOR ME and from my own experience).  And, as others have said already, Mike is a GREAT GUY to work with.. He takes his 'business' very seriously..

A few months ago, his web site messed up and didn't take my order.. A simple email to him and he was on the phone within 20 minutes, calling me, to be sure that all was taken care of properly.. 2 days later, my order showed up..  Mike has me for a customer for life...  no question.

This isn't to suggest that the Olson blades are junk by any means.. Many love their blades and get good service from them.. and that's just fine too..  What ever works for YOU is the blade to use.

In general, I find I use the FD Ultra Reverse #5 or #7 blade the most.. Then again, it depends on what wood your cutting, how thick it is, how detailed the pattern is etc...

Hope this helps some.. sorry it's so long winded..  ::)

Ez

rbaron

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 06:13:27 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions regarding what blades I should use. It seems like everyone likes the Flying Dutchman blades sold by Mike.

Rich

dgross3910

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 07:07:49 pm »
I am a woodshop teacher in NJ and scrolling is my main curriculum. The kids love it and I get most of my blades from Mike. The flying Dutchman blades can withstand the punishment from 8th graders and they turn out very nice work. I myself use Mikes blades and also use Olsen PGT blades occasionally. The problem with the PGT blades are they cut with a wider kerf compared to the flying Dutchman blades and that is comparing #7 Scroll reverse in both blades. The PGT blades are also more expensive.

cherie

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 08:28:08 pm »
I really do not want to put Mike's blades down, and I am not going to, but my preference in Olsen # 2 reverse.  I tried the Flying Duchman blades since I heard so much good about them, but I did not like the way they cut,  As for Spirals, thumbs up to those that can handle them.  Those that do, have wonderful work.  I am a flatliner all the way and always will be.  Just my thoughts.

EZgoing

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 08:40:49 pm »
Cherie, I personally think that it's all in what you get used to.. and you need to factor in what type of wood your using, how thick it is, how detailed the pattern is etc...  Way too many variables here.. 

I may give spirals another try in the future.. once I get a good saw to use them on.. The side thrust bearing surface is about shot in my pin and sleeve type set-up on my saw.. and I just had too much trouble trying to control a spiral blade... 

I also believe that personal input like yours (and everyone else's too) is very important here too.. This way, everyone gets to voice their opinions and we all get to make a better, informed decision... especially the person asking the question in the first place.. 

"Just my thoughts" as you said.. are important ones IMO... Thank you!

Ez

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:10 pm »
Mike's is an excellent source. Good blades, good prices, good service. He sells a variety pack which could be a good one to start with.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

procrastinator

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 09:27:10 pm »
I'm a relative novice at scrollsawing, and have been using Olson blades.  I have found an excellent local (Australia) source for these at Carrroll's Woodcraft Supplies at Drysdale, Victoria - http://www.cws.au.com/ .  Brilliant, friendly service and turnaround time, and they are never too busy to give expert advice, no matter how basic the questions.

cherie

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 10:09:36 pm »
By the way folks, I get my blades by the gross through Wild Wood Designs.  I have never had problems with them and they deliver in a timely fashion.

steviegwood

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 10:59:06 pm »
I have tried them all over the past twenty couple years including FD blades. I keep coming back to one blade to cut everything. I use an Olson No.457R, universal No.7RG skip/reverse tooth PGT blade. I will cut one piece of thin ply or 1&1/2" solid oak with the same blade without fuzzies on the back and without having to sand anything as long as you use a sharp blade.. Now don't get me wrong folks, I have ordered from Mike and he gave me some of the best most informative customer service that could be had. I cut mostly hardwoods from 1/4" to 3/4" thick @ about 1300spm. I won't start a blade war because like said above it will in time come down to what you are cutting, your style/habit of cutting and make of saw coming together with a blade that gives you the performance that you are happy with. Happy Scrolling. Steve
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:00:55 pm by steviegwood »

ripchief

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 11:11:29 pm »
There isn't a "right type of blade"...There isn't even a "right/best manufacturer"...It is completely situational...For instance, if a double tooth blade is desired, Flying Dutchman and Olson both offer double tooth blades...However, if you want to use a double tooth blade with reverse teeth, then Flying Dutchman is the right choice, because although Olson offers a double tooth blade, they don't offer it with reverse teeth (PGT blades excluded).

Similarly, the number associated with the size of the blade doesn't directly translate between different makers (even sometimes among different styles of  blades offered by the same maker)...For example, any "normal" Olson #5 blade is a different size than an Olson PGT #5 blade (which is larger, even though they're both labeled #5)...Olson might make a blade in sizes #0, #2, #5, etc...Whereas Flying Dutchman make blades in sizes #1, #3, #5 etc...As you can see, they don't always directly equate to each other.

Even specific blade types (tooth configurations) within the same manufacturer can make a difference...There are people that swear by the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse (UR), but those same people will testify that they're unable to produce any satisfactory results while using any other style of blade that is also made by Flying Dutchman.

Most importantly, look at the individual blade characteristics provided by the manufacturer...Websites from both Olson, and Mike's Workshop (Flying Dutchman) provide blade specification information concerning teeth per inch, blade width, blade thickness, and tooth configuration...Refer to these sources for further information.

When people make a general recommendation like, "Flying Dutchman", or "Olson", without any further description, they're really only telling you part of the story...What they really need to state is which specific blade offered by that manufacturer they are referring to...Just because someone makes a statement that they don't like a particular manufacturer, they may be basing that claim on less than complete data...Don't steer away from a particular manufacturer just because someone didn't like one of their many styles of blades...Other blades from that same manufacturer might work for you, even though that one style didn't for them...I often see the forums laced with these empty/blanket recommendations, but sometimes someone will call it correctly, such as this one reader who stated that the they could not follow a line using a Flying Dutchman SR blade, but then they went one to state that other Flying Dutchman blades, such as the UR and the New Spiral, did work well for them...That type of information is much more valuable then general statements that "blanket praise" a manufacturer.

Again, blade choice is situational, it's trial and error, and it's also personal preference based on experience.

Mike's Workshop is the exclusive supplier of Flying Dutchman blades...They are only available online/mail order, but they're worth it...There's a couple of other people out there that advertise the same blades under a different name, but DON'T BUY FROM THEM; they;re much more expensive than Mike's, and his knowledge and experience come with the blades as part of the purchase package.

Olson blades: Several places online sell Olson blades...DON'T BUY THEM FROM OLSON'S WEBSITE; they're too expensive compared to everyone else...Olson blades are also available locally at Rockler, Woodcraft, True Value, Do It Best, and Ace Hardware...Rockler and Woodcraft will offer some types of Olson blades that aren't found at the other hardware stores listed...This is the only situation  where buying blades from a "hardware store" is OK.

Under any circumstances, DO NOT BUY ANY SCROLL SAW BLADES FROM LOWE'S OR THE HOME DEPOT...They do not carry anything that you want/need...Instead, if you're in a pinch and need something, and can't wait for an online order to arrive, find one of the other "hardware stores" listed above and get some Olson blades from them...Using the stuff sold at Lowe's/Home Depot is like trying to perform major surgery using a plastic picnic knife...Besides, all the stuff available from online sources is less expensive than Lowe's/Home Depot anyway (not to be confused with "cheaper", which means something different than "less expensive").

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 02:15:43 am »
Hi ripchief, Fine job explaining what can be a very confusing situation for new scrollers. Your thoughts were extremely well laid out and insightful. Thanks for taking the time to help out. This kind of information is invaluable. It's easy to tell someone to buy brand X and to be honest that's what they usually want to hear. Actually taking the time to invest in and experiment with different brands and types of blades can be more than the newbie can deal with. That experimental stage usually comes later after they are comfortable and get curious. I will usually just recommend a brand and a selection of blades to new scrollers. Let them get comfortable with their saw then show them what else is available. It is the easier path but I have new scrollers write me everyday that would never get started with out a specific recommendation. Most of them have either used the blades that came with their saw or bought a pack from lowes or home depot. Anything will be a step up from there. :) 

shissta

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »
I have tried blades from Home Depot and Sears but will only buy them now if I am out of blades and trying to finish a project.  Mikesworkshop and Flying Dutchman all the way.  He also offers a couple free to try for first time customers.  Can't go wrong.

keidiag

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 10:22:55 pm »
I too am a fan of Mikes. I'm using the Ultra Reverse almost exclusively, they are the best for me.

Keith

Russell

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 04:59:54 pm »
It would appear that the UK is a bit of a 'back water' in the scroll saw world.  Dewalt do not sell their scroll saw over here and you cannot get hold of Flying Dutchman blades either. 

I was sat out in the garden today, scroll sawing in the sunshine with my cheap machine mounted on a table that I made yesterday and it felt pretty good.  The fact that I could not quite keep to the line was 'neither here nor there', I was really enjoying the experience.

Which blades should I go for over here in Britain?  I bought some sandvik blades from ebay which I am using at present, I do not know whether they are good or bad.  My saw is way better after I modified it, I can use pinless blades now without any bother.  Are there any suppliers over here like Mike?

SMF

Teknoromi