Author Topic: Beginner blades  (Read 11758 times)

rbaron

Beginner blades
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:38:07 am »
Can someone please tell me a good assortment of blades for beginners? I read the Scrollsaw magazine and it seems like you need a bunch of different blades to become a successful scroller. Is this the case?

Also where can I but good blades? I hate to go to Lowes or Home Depot only to find out I could have bought them for 1/2 the price.

Thanks in advance.......

ufgator

Re: Beginner blades
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:34 am »
Hi rbaron!  I'm a beginner also and found thru Steves blog that mikesworkshop.com is the best deal in town.  They have a 5 blade assortment that is great for us beginners. I also got their special puzzle blades which are fantastic.  Shipping is fast and I understand they can answer any questions you may have.  Good luck!

Bill

AL

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:08:40 am »
I to am beginning to scroll saw, and have had a tough time finding a store that sells a variety.  Lowe's and Ace hardware have only a small selection. i know i can find them on the net but i like to buy from a store. any suggestions????

Seer

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:15:17 am »
One of the best places and people to get blades and advice from is Mike at http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ he is a great guy and sells imho the best blades out there.

dankc908

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:28:19 am »
I concur with Seer on Mike's blades.  If you call him (Mike) he will answer any questions you have about scrolling and blades.  The FD (Flying Dutchman) blades are 'the best'.  I use no other brands any more.

Dan

AnotherSteve

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:00:55 am »
I absolutely agree that Flying Dutchman blades from Mike are great.  He delivers fast and his prices are wonderful.  I have been scrolling for about a month now and  switched to FD blades as fast as I could.  Had to get rid of the pin blades that came with the saw and the only ones I could find at Lowe's.  When you order the assorted pack you get a variety of blades and descriptions on what to use when.  I'd recommend getting the assorted pack to start. 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:12:06 am »
 ;D Another vote for Mike!
I ordered blades on a Wednesday a couple weeks ago and got my package in the mail on Friday!
His Assortment pack is great for starting out. Once you determine which works best for you that will narrow your assortment.
One caveat for beginners...Stay away from the SPIRALS until you are confident you can handle them! They are difficult to get used to!

GrayBeard
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

firewood

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 11:39:05 am »
I concur with Seer on Mike's blades.  If you call him (Mike) he will answer any questions you have about scrolling and blades.  The FD (Flying Dutchman) blades are 'the best'.  I use no other brands any more.

Dan

have to agree with all the comments about mikes blades,excellent service and help and not hammered for the price.

Curt

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 11:49:36 am »
I bought the assortment package from Mikes blades and had no clue what each was for.....Since then I have been buying Olson blades from Sloans Woodshop (there is a lind to them on Steve's home page) I am very happy with the olson.  Perhaps one day I will try mike's again.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 11:50:09 am »
There are a myriad of blade sellers online.  I too prefer Mikes blades but I also use some Pegas blades for certain applications.  personal preference only but have not had good luck with Olsen blades.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:06:55 pm »
I'm in agreement with the comments above. I love mikes site. The Flying Dutchman blades have served me well. If you absolutely need to buy locally I would try to look for the Olsen brand. They are widely distributed around the nation. They are quality blades also but you might be paying a bit more when you buy locally.

Dotmom16

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:14:52 pm »
Hi, Everyone,

I'm new at all this scrolling and was scrolling a "patience challenged" article out of some unknown type of wood so decided to bite it and bought some PC Wood blades from Woodcraft (size 9) and they cut thru the wood better than any blades (whatever they were) that I had on hand.  Expensive, $1.00 a blade but lessened my fraustration immensely!  Other than that the Flying Dutchmen are the blades mostly used.

Dotmom16

scrollsawmaniac

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 12:16:12 pm »
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I agree with everyone who recommends Mikes site and Flying Dutchman blades. Great blades and great service!

garyinnevada

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:35:43 pm »
Without a doubt, Olson Blades are the best! I havent been able to find them locally, but Sloans has great service.

Boy am I lookin' for trouble!

Marshall

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 12:37:38 pm »
I'm a Flying Dutchman blade man myself ............

SMF

Teknoromi