Author Topic: Scroll Saw Table Tilt  (Read 2249 times)

keidiag

Scroll Saw Table Tilt
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »
I've been having on ongoing discussion with one of the members about tilting the leading edge of your scroll saw forward and I thought many of you would benefit from this. Here's a photo of my setup...

There are 2 reasons for the tilt, first it is easier on the back and secondly you will have a better view of the pattern you are cutting. There is a 6 degree tilt on my table, this is achieved by raising the back end of the saw by 3". You could go a bit higher but gravity will start to kick in and your work will tend to slide forward.

BTW, that cardboard box is a crude dust catcher...cheap but it works. It's held on with good old DuckTape and a couple of clamps.

Happy scrolling...Keith

northie66

Re: Scroll Saw Table Tilt
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:31:22 pm »
The photo isn't there anymore! :o

ripchief

Re: Scroll Saw Table Tilt
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:39:54 pm »
I agree with the tilt...I use a 5 degree angle...When I was researching, I found every opinion between a level table and as much as 30 degrees of tilt...Obviously, the level table doesn't provide any advantage...In my opinion, 30 degrees seems extreme...As stated, at some point, gravity can start to work against you; not just having your workpiece start to slide if not held onto, but at some point you begin "pushing" uphill...As a lot of sources recommend, don't push into the blade; instead, just guide it with the minimum amount of pressure required to keep the workpiece moving through the cut.

SMF

Teknoromi