Author Topic: SPEAKING OF WHAT BLADE TO USE....:+}  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
SPEAKING OF WHAT BLADE TO USE....:+}
« on: February 20, 2022, 06:04:07 pm »
Well I know.  Its been a while now.  I do not Ever Forget My Beginnings with this site back when Steve Started it 2007. 
Was t he year I decided to get out of  the Work Force....RETIRED....  Never regretted it.  Anyway Steve has been a Blessing
to Thousands of Men, Women and Young peoples.  I learned most everything about Scrolling from this site.  Now I venture
into Others and have met so many Wonderful people from many Countries.  Anyway I have a Question....I swear by FDUR#1 Blade....
Most Everything I Scroll I use this blade and It Long story short Is the Best for Normal thickness and Not into the Hard woods.

Was cutting a piece of 3/4" Good Pine earlier and My Favorite just didn't cut fast enough for me.  So....  Yea UR #3 and #5 were TRIED.
All blades cut, but the NUMBER ONE CUT FASTER AND STAYED TRUE TO THE LINE THAN THE OTHERS.  Well made me think.  Yea do that.
Teeth on the UR5 are bigger and TO ME should cut faster.  Nopper.  Did not.  #1 cut Faster.  Anyway could I READ OTHERS opinions
on this subject?    SORRY FOR SO LENGTHY....                  Just Lil Ole Happily Retired Me.......Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
Re: SPEAKING OF WHAT BLADE TO USE....:+}
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 10:02:45 pm »
Hi Danny, I started with FD when I began scrolling almost a year ago. I switched to Pegas and feel they cut a lot faster. I also started by using the #5 blade, later switched to #3 and then the #1. I also found the smaller blades seemed to cut faster. After I gained experience in cutting I did a fairly complicated piece and tried spiral blades. Now I cut almost exclusively with spirals except when doing long lines or edges of projects. I also find the Pegas blades last longer than FD. Most of what I cut is on 1/4 ply (BB or Maple) and depending on the piece, usually double stacked.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 08:13:16 am »
Thank You Rodney for your Comment.  WE both sound a lot alike with our Choices.  I have NEVER bought Pegas blades,
but after reading this I feel I Really want to.  Thanks Again my Friend.  Danny  :+} 

PS  Oh yea I have Experimented with Spirals Several times with Bad LUCK each time.  Maybe I need another Modern Lesson.  Hint hint.  Danny  :+}

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 08:39:08 am »
One of the things the guy who taught me (Mr. M down in Branson, MO) taught was that you have to match the blade speed to the blade and the cut.  If the sawdust isn't clearing then you're not cutting as well as you should be.  I've found that as a blade dulls I can get more good life out of it by slowing my blade speed just a bit.  It's not a huge thing, but I can usually get several more minutes of cutting time out of a blade by just slowing down.

Likewise, for thicker wood I find a slower blade speed lets the sawdust get out.  You'd think it would be the other way around but it doesn't seem to be that way for me.

Offline Nicole

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 04:58:25 pm »
I actually prefer using the 2/0 size blades, simply for the maneuverability aspect of them. Yes, they do wear out much faster than the heavier gauge blades; but that is something I put up with for the simple fact that the blades "feel' like they cut faster (yes, completely subjective opinion there!) while also remaining able to turn and maneuver without tearing up the wood in the process.
Nicole

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 06:52:18 pm »
Hey thar Nicole....  All you said I Believe in the Same thing.  My Go to blade has been for Years the
FDUR#1....  Even cutting 3/4" Pine it will cut Faster than a #3 or #5....  My True Feelings at this time. 

SMF

Teknoromi