Author Topic: Thick Pieces  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
Thick Pieces
« on: May 03, 2021, 02:51:55 pm »
Hello everyone. I had surgery Friday and while I was limited with what I could do over the weekend I was able to sit in front of the scroll saw for a while. I was trying to cut one of Steve's designs in 1 1/2 material which I thought was oak but later determined it to be pine after running the blade through a knot. I have found I like the Flying Dutchman #5 Ultra reverse blades. When cutting the design I found I was able to control my cuts much better on this thicker piece. I knew I had to cut slow so the blade would straighten from any bend I created while pushing the material through the cuts. All was going well and I finished the interior cuts with no problems. When I started the outside cuts, I found the blade was bending much more than I anticipated, not from front to back, but from side to side. The tension on the blade was good but I still had considerable variance between the top of the material where I was following the pattern and the bottom cutting edge of the blade.

My question is, would a heavier blade prevented, or at least reduced, the amount of variance between the line I was cutting on the top of the material and where the blade tracked at the bottom of the material.

Unfortunately the piece broke after I finished the last outer cut but with some glue and patience I believe it can be salvaged. If it can be saved, I'll post a pic once it is completed.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Thick Pieces
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 06:13:03 am »
My go to blade is FD Ultra Reverse too.  1 1/2 is tough going no matter what.  I rarely use more than a number 5. I am doing a bunch of mini birdhouses right not and I wrap the block in packing tape as it does help.  With really hard wood I switch to a Polar blade as there are no reverse teeth and he saw dust clears better.

When doing this type of cutting I never push too hard as it definitely will go off the line and bend.  Let the blade do the cutting.

Another thing is sharp blades.  UR do dull quicker and that is what will cause blades to break.

PS:  I have a sample of Pegas MGT blades that a lot of people like and they are more aggressive and I find harder to control.  It maybe just getting used to but I have been using on some of my birdhouse and cut okay.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 09:24:20 am »
Like Don I don't do much cutting of thick stuff but I agree - the key is a sharp blade and a lot of patience.  Plan for it to take as long as it takes and just let it slowly chew its way along the line.  The real temptation to rush in on curves & corners.

I'm assuming you have some thick scrap laying about now.  Draw some lines and do some practice cuts.

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 02:35:12 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I actually tried a #5 Polar blade because I heard it cuts cooler. I would have tried a larger blade but some of the fret work on this piece was quite small. Guess I could have cut those with the smaller blade and then switched to a larger blade for the larger inside cuts. Another issue is I'm cutting with an inexpensive WEN saw and feeding the blades through the frets on that thick of a piece was a chore in itself since the arm doesn't raise. Needless to say I had to bend the blades to feed through the holes. Please note that I'm not knocking the WEN saw. So far it has been great and since I've built a table and mounted it, I believe it could actually pass the nickle test.

I do have plenty of 1 1/2 material lying around. In fact, I have more 1 1/2 than the more desirable thicknesses. And with the cost of wood right now... well, enough said.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 08:54:49 am »
A tip I picked up somewhere - take your clippers and cut the top corner of the blade off to make it pointy.  It's a lot easier to get it into the holes that way.

The guy who taught me pointed out that you can bend a scrollsaw blade to the side just about as much as you want.  It's the front/back bends that kill it.  Obviously you can't make a sharp bend, but they are pretty flexible to the side.  I also find good light helps a lot.  I carry a little tactical flashlight and I often wind up setting it on the saw lighting the bottom of the wood when I'm trying to come up through a hole.

When you look at upgrading your saw you might want to look at a Jet.  Not cheap, but worth it. They use a lower blade holder that's really easy to use.  Comes with three (I keep different types of blade in each one) and you can get more on Amazon.  The table has a slot almost to the front edge so you can, if you need to, pop the blade holder out of the lower arm, bring it to the front of the table, come up through your hole, and then slide the whole thing back into place.  Lower holder is very easy to put in place and the top is a flip lever that locks and tightens the blade.

Important note: on a Jet you do NOT set the tension with the knob at the back of the arm.  It's just for getting the arms parallel.  It does have some effect on the tension, but it's way crude.  You set the tension by rotating the lever.  Clamp the blade, check your tension.  If too loose, open the lever, spin it around one turn and try again.  Once you get it set, it's set.  Oh - put a mark on that back knob so you know if it has turned itself while the lever was open.  I use a bit of tape.  I'll occasionally see it having turned a bit.  One time it was a whole quarter turn off position.  Another tip I got here.

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 02:16:35 pm »
As with any hobby/craft, you start with the basics until you see how well you like it. Then you're looking for bigger and better. Since I've found Scrolling to be very relaxing and something I enjoy, I've looked at improving my saw. The JET 22 is the one that appeals to me most. But as with most individuals, I have to seek approval from the boss (wife). On the plus side, I've involved her in my projects, letting her finish them after I've cut, sanded and glued. She has a better eye for decorative ideas than me and seems to like this as well. I also ask her opinion (again, keeping her involved) on different projects.

Clipping the tip of the blade to help feed it through holes gave me a "duh" moment. Like, why didn't I think of that. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tips and advice.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 05:24:06 pm »
Hi, Rodney,
I didn't see any mention in making sure the blade is square to the table.
If it is not, that would certainly make the top and bottom cuts be off.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 01:54:06 pm »
Hi Spirithorse,

The saw was square so I can't blame it on that. I believe the biggest problem was my lack of experience.

Offline Wichita Blundell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 01:00:59 am »
Rodney,
   I routinely cut sliding dovetails in 1 1/2 oak and have cut them in purpleheart. My go to blade in FD polar #1. And I turn the tension way up. Stopping every 1/4 inch or so and letting the blade clear the sawdust and "catch up" with the cut. Yes, it's slow cutting, but doable.
Wichita

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 10:39:48 pm »
Thanks Wichita. That was probably my problem. I wasn't letting the blade "catch up."

I was able to finish the project today. Even though there was a break it glued up pretty good. You can see the under cut at the bottom of the rose. There was also a few places on top but the picture doesn't show them. I had to reduce the size so I'm not sure how the photo quality will be once it's posted.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 08:00:46 am »
Wow That is a super cut.1/2   Thick wood always has unexpected challenges and provides lots of learning experiences. 

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 11:31:00 pm »
Thanks Norm. Actually the piece is about 1 1/2 thick. If you notice the backing, that is from 1/4 plywood. That may give you a little better perspective to its thickness.

It was a challenge but my mom liked it, so it was worth every challenge it presented.

SMF

Teknoromi