Author Topic: looking at this saw, what do you think?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline gramps

• View Profile
looking at this saw, what do you think?
« on: December 16, 2019, 11:14:28 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/592794011476758/  lost my work shop for a while but i now have it back. i have a craftsman scroll saw but could never get spiral blades to work in it. i think this saw  will solve that problem but it's a bit of money. it has some extras as you can see including some patterns. just the saw not the dust collectors. the saw is a 2004 rbi hawk g4 asking $900. what do you scroll artists think? thanks in advance, gramps

Offline Berta

• View Profile
Re: looking at this saw, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 06:35:18 am »
That is a very good saw. I believe it’s bottom feed only.

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:38:33 am »
I have a G4 I top feed no problem

Offline gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 04:41:36 pm »
thanks for the replies. i decided against it based on reviews i've read about bushton. worried i wouldn't be able to get parts. thanks again.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 05:23:39 pm »
Just got my authorization to post - Hi folks!  ;D

I learned to scroll this summer and thought I had a scroll saw - a little Ryobi 16" I got at a discount tool place years ago for around $69.  It wasn't bad but trying to do real scrolling wore it out.  Of course it wore out in the middle of a project.  So I went to the nearby Menards and the best (only) saw they had, their Masterforce 18" for $200.  Much better saw, but flawed.  It's 80% great, 15% "hey, it's a $200 saw", and 5% unusable.  Most of the cheapness is that the arm doesn't lift and unusable is the way it handles pinless blades.  They give you two set screws and an allen wrench.  I tried really hard to make it work but just couldn't and had to take it back.  If you do metal machining - or have a friend - you could easily replace their 'clamps' with something better.  Of course the arm still won't lift.

I went down to the local Woodcraft and bit the bullet in getting a good saw.  Looked at the Dewalt but settled on an 18" Jet - https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwss-18b-18-scroll-saw/727300B
The Jet just felt like a better saw for me.  It's a bottom feed saw but the arm lifts 10" so I don't see that as a problem.  The blade holding is slightly weird.  There's a lower blade holder (you get three and can even get more on Amazon).  You put the bottom of the blade in, tighten it by hand and then use a hole in the side of the saw and flats on the holder to get it really tight.  The upper blade clamp is a flip arm.  As it comes back a pair of flats cam in and pull up.   Once you set your blade tension with knob on the back you get the same tension every time.  Very smooth operation and I'm very pleased with my investment.

Offline Berta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:47:19 pm »
The Jet is a good saw. Much better.

Offline Naytuih08

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 05:50:30 am »
I also checking for scroll saw and come here...

I'm finding and planning to add new saw. Take a look here to find. I also check one the best reviews article and I'm thinking about it. Buyer's guide helped a lot to choose right way. Still little bit finding checking here.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 08:58:00 am »
I'll just say that IF you can afford it, spring for a GOOD saw.

I had a little Ryobi 16" I'd had around for years when I got started.  Not a bad entry level saw but as soon as I really started getting into scrolling I wore it out.  Tried a nice one from Menards but between the arm not being able to be raised the way it barely allowed for pinless blades it just wouldn't work.  Took it back in a few days and went down to the local Woodcraft. 

Wound up spending $700 on a 18" Jet but I am very happy with it.  If you're lucky enough to have someplace near enough to go put your hands on various saws it will be a big help.  You can also search here to see what people say about the saw(s) you're looking at.

You do NOT need a high-end saw to do great work.  But a high-end saw will (generally) make it just a bit easier and should definitely last a lot longer.

Good luck!

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 07:24:59 pm »
I used a fixed arm for years then went to a saw that had arm raising capabilities. I  changed to top feeding with little difficulty. Very pleased and now have Seyco that I use lots 

SMF

Teknoromi