Author Topic: Names  (Read 8971 times)

cherie

Re: Names
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 09:25:05 am »
Everyone has such interesting names.  I love how we all came about them.

ripchief

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 10:40:40 am »
My name is Ken Van Winkle...RIP comes from the famous story of Rip Van Winkle...CHIEF comes from the fact that I'm a retired Navy Senior Chief...Thus, Ripchief.

cherie

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 01:02:45 pm »
So did you sleep while on the ship?  LOL.

Mr.Mike

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 01:05:31 pm »
As I started to get "older" all of our friends children (the polite ones anyway) would always call me "Mr. Ledbetter". I would tell them that my DAD was "Mr. Ledbetter" so just call me Mike. Still being polite they insisted in calling me "Mr. Mike", so now even their parents and alot of others call me Mr. Mike.

supershingler

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 02:22:07 pm »
when i was still doing construction work most of the work i would do was roofing and shingling.
one of the neighboring town had a hail storm and a couple of friends of mine wanted their roofs done.

well the crew that i had really to kick butts on roof so we would fly when on the roof.  one of the local carpenters
came by one day and watched us work and started to say we look like superman the way we flew around the roof.
hench came the nickname "supershingler".

i have got out of the shingling business but the name just stuck.  i now work in a lumber yard so i let everyone else to the physical work i just write up the orders.

kendall

cornishpisky

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 04:53:43 pm »
My nick comes from the fact i live in beautiful Cornwall UK, land of legend, mystery and smuggling (as immortalised in Daphne du Maurier's book "Jamaica Inn" which is just a few miles from my home) and where the Piskies live (little folk you don't often see), Piskies are known for their cheerful nature and playful mischievousness, they also bring good luck, i'm not exactly little but i am mostly cheerful and love to have a bit of fun!

So thats why i'm cornishpisky!

PS:
     Merlin, the real Merlin is believed to have been Welsh and has connections with Cornwall through Uther Pendragon and later his son Arthur who became King Arthur and is believed to have lived here in Cornwall after being brought ashore at Tintagel as an infant by Merlin.

Ok, history lesson over, please forgve my rambling on LOL

Dragonlord85

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 05:21:56 pm »
When I was a volunteer firefighter I saw a picture of a firefighter fighting a blaze through the doorway. The caption under the picture said something about fire being a living breathing dragon and the firefighter was lord over that dragon so hence the name Dragonlord. I have later learned that Dragonlordwas also a fictional charector in many books and a line of fantasy collectors knives. The 85 at the end of my mick is just the first digits of my zip code since Dragonlord is already used by someone.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 10:28:37 pm »
When I was a kid there was a radio serial called "Jamaica Inn" about the smugglers, it used scare the living day lights out of me
Jimbo

jon

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 11:47:04 pm »
i dont use a user name cause people usually give me one after they read something i post.  :D so why would i take that away from them?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 09:44:05 am »
Dragonlord85....
With your obvious computer skills i was wondering if you are related to "ElfLord" on "NCIS"???

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

chips

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 11:56:42 am »
 As you can see at the bottom my name is Pete. Try entering that when you register.  :) I might end up as being Pete23 by the time I get done so just use whatever pops into my head at the time. Chips was what popped into my head this time. It's a lot better than some of the things I've been called.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:59:09 am by chips »

Rightarm

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »
    Rightarm came from a manager I had when I was 16 y/o, working as a stockboy at a Woolco Dept Store here in Terre Haute. The name stuck. When I went on the Fire Dept. a couple of guys I had worked with at Woolco, were Firefighters, and my nickneame carried over. Dave 8)

Becky

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 11:05:16 pm »
I guess I was just too excited to get registered here when Steve created the forums.  I didn't stop to get creative.  At least Becky is not too common a name so I don't typically have to add a bunch or numbers or anything after it on niche message boards.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010, 02:57:41 am »
My wife used to have a hair dresser named Becky a lovely girl but she moved on and is now selling shoe in her own business, thanks for your comment
Jimbo

cloetpatrick

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2010, 02:39:30 am »
There was a time when people call me "Picsou". That was when I fesais CB (amateur radio).
Every child, I doted adventures of Mickey and his familly swarm. The character I was so Prefair Picsou, but I personally have never been stingy with him.
This is why in CB, I call fesais Picsou. For very long distance communications, my name was P.C.O that meant Uncle Picsou.

SMF

Teknoromi