Author Topic: Old?  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Re: Old?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 02:27:17 pm »
Well, GB, we were both born in '36.  Me on a farm in Nebraska.  Doc come to our home for my birth, and later sent a bill to cover everything, including Mom's visits to him beforehand...$26.00!  I remember all on the list including the margarine kneading, no electricity, crank telephone on the wall, the outhouse. We also had a wood stove for heat and another "range" in kitchen that burned wood or coal for cooking and baking.  And here's one I haven't seen mentioned:  an ice box.  My favorite as a kid was cranking the old ice cream freezer until the contents got so stiff I couldn't turn the handle any more. Best ice cream ever!

Lots of great memories, but I'm happy I don't have to do many of those things any more.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 10:57:13 am »
Speaking of turning a crank!
I remember the crankup "Victrola" grandma had...and to till their huge garden we had to turn the crank on the old tractor.
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

pddesertrat

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 01:51:04 pm »
We still crank ice cream, often.  When I was a kid, we had one that made 5 gallons!  That was a lot of hard cranking. 

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 09:58:23 am »
Another memory that I would just as soon not remember was going to the dentist.  He used a foot powered drill and it didn't have a water cooler so you could smell the stink of it drilling.

Woodchuck

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 11:14:19 pm »
I remember going to the dentist who had all the needles in clear display in glass jars on the shelf. Being just a small kid I asked him if he stuck them in all the way...He said, "Yes"   ... No problem getting me to brush my teeth after that!  :) :)

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 08:34:00 am »
I remember all of that.  I also remember that we had our teeth drilled with no Novocaine.  Pain blockers like that cost an extra dollar so we did without. First Novocaine I got was in the USAF in 1961.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:48 am »
A simpler way of life back then, sometimes I miss it.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Honeycow

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 06:40:11 am »
I remember as a kid watching the Jetsons and thinking how cool it would be to talk to someone on the phone while seeing each other on a screen.  Hello FaceTime. I am waiting for Rosie to be invented!

SMF

Teknoromi