Author Topic: using polymer clay  (Read 1318 times)

Offline red river

• View Profile
using polymer clay
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:00:43 pm »
Probobaly a dumb question, but what the heck....Can you make an inside cut in a pattern and fill and bake the inside cut with polymer clay and then stain project? How do y'all go about finishing your items...Thanx...Red River

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: using polymer clay
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 01:17:26 am »
There is no reason why not but...

Depending on the wood and the type of clay you sometimes get the colour bleeding into the wood.  What I do is give the wood a coat of seal coat (diluted shellac) before filling and baking.  You then have to sand back the clay that you over filled the wood and sand a little more for the sealer.

It may take a little experimenting on with the stain to get right colour and not the stain to change the colour of the clay. 

I have use fimo clay a few times and never have stained.  I have even done a the bottom of a bowl.

Offline red river

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 01:54:10 pm »
Thanx for the reply...good info....that's a very delicate and pretty piece in the pic...

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 03:51:41 pm »
I've used clay but like tinted epoxy better.  Sealed the insides and then sealed the bottom with tape. Then filled the void with tinted epoxy. Depending on the depth of the tint it can be transparent.  Works well for something to hang in a window.  Make certain the bottom is sealed well or it can be a mess. Don't ask how I know that. 

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 03:06:15 pm »
I just got the latest Woodcraft catalog and they have a bit about using casting resin.  It's copied over from an article in their magazine.  Considering that the resins are made to use with wood I think they'd be better.

Also, doesn't the clay have a bit of shrinkage when you bake it?  That could make things a bit more interesting.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 04:26:53 pm »
i have not seen any shrinkage with polymer clay.

Epoxy is a great way to go.  You have lots of colour options and the ability to add glitter etc.  Looks great especially in jewelry.

Epoxy can be expensive if you use much.  You also have to able to seal it off completely or it will find all over the place. 

There are some great videos on this.

Check out the post on SSV for one scrollers experience.  -with-epoxy-leaks-stopped-but-there-are-other-problems/?tab=comments

Frank gives a blow by blow description of his experiences.

SMF

Teknoromi