Author Topic: Wooden Utensils  (Read 1244 times)

Offline D-Tone

• View Profile
Wooden Utensils
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:15:18 pm »
Hello Everyone,  Hoping you could help me with some advice on the best wood to use for wooden cooking utensils.  I recently made a batch of wooden spatulas out of hard maple and gave them a couple of cotes of mineral oil.  The first one I used and washed seemed to soften up a bit.  Is there a better wood and/or finish to use for this purpose. Thanks - D-Tone

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Wooden Utensils
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 08:31:10 am »
A fellow woodsy guy gave us a spatula made from butternut we use it for making porridge about 3 times a week. There is no finish at all and it has survived for many years, although it is discoloured from the blueberries that go into the porridge and the scraper part is a little tattered it still has years of use in it. We don't put it in the dishwasher nor soak for long periods , but rinse it off and let it dry.

I did read that a superior finish for wood utensils is a 3 or 4 day soak in watco oil then let hang for 3 months as that long of soak will need a long time to air out and off gas will make hard wood kitchen spoons preserve them under any conditions.

I have made strip type cutting boards from maple, walnut and basswood, used a mineral type oil or watco oil, applying  several coats. with varying results but eventually warping, separating or cracking will happen under rough usage. Maybe watco oil is a mineral as I think from nuts of some kind. 

Offline D-Tone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:14:44 am »
Thanks Norm - I have some butternut that was given to me some time ago.  I'm going to make some spoons to go along with the spatulas and I give the butternut a try. 

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:46:55 pm »
I use plane and find its fine or I use native wood if I have suitable scraps, I do not oil them as it washes out

SMF

Teknoromi