Author Topic: Beginner version of double eagle  (Read 2557 times)

smitty0312

Re: Beginner version of double eagle
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:44:26 am »
Looks very nice! Thanks for sharing.

timotheous7

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
Thank you all for your kind words.   I am glad I am not the only one that likes it.  I am working on a flat black backer for the next ones.  I like the wood grain behind it. So I will try some other flat paint.   I love the felt idea and have used it on smaller projects. I was scared the wood wouldn't hold to the felt.  What is the best glue to use for that.  Thanks again.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »
Awsome piece of work there, but I have to agree with the others , not keen on the glossy background.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »
Any good wood glue should hold it in place for you...if you are in the US I recommend "Alene's Tacky Glue in the light brown bottle.

I first glue the felt to a 'backer board' with a good spray adhesive.
Just take a small brush and dab it on the back wherever you can, place the piece on the felt and weight it down with a couple heavy books for about 30 minutes and it will stay.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SheGold

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 05:41:11 pm »
Beautiful work there... Sheila

J,Hamilton

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:43 pm »
I agree with everyone else. Great cutting, but a satin finish would be better. Great job overall and keep up the good work.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »
I think it is great and I like the wood grain but it might look nice if the grain ran diagonally so the "flow" would follow the wing artistically speaking  ;) If you haven't glued the piece down yet, you can still spray the backer with a matt or satin clear spray to tone it down a bit.  Just a humble old lady's opinion.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 01:59:26 pm »
Judy H. is NOT an ol' Lady but definitely an 'Artiste"!

And definitely true...the gloss detracts from the piece and is hard on the eyes if the light is directly on the piece.

I just read a comment in a woodworking magazine that "sometimes you have to waste a little wood to gain the desired effect!"
Just as in the 'kitchen' world, it is all about "presentation". If food Looks Good it usually tastes good also!
So, IMNSHO, using the same wood, stained darker and 'angled' for artistic presentation is a very good idea idea.

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:01:27 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:30 pm »
Sweet.   Nice job on the cutting and the finishing.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

SMF

Teknoromi