Author Topic: Wood for Christmas Ornaments  (Read 6999 times)

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
Wood for Christmas Ornaments
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:36:54 am »
I am looking at making some flat ornaments for this Christmas, and have a question for those who have been cutting these in the past.

Most patterns say to use 1/4" thick wood.  That makes sense, the ornaments are not very big.

What is the preferred wood - 1/4" baltic birch plywood, or a hardwood that is 1/4" thick?

Thanks!
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline GLC

• View Profile
Re: Wood for Christmas Ornaments
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 10:12:43 am »
I have no real preference, but if I am painting them I use baltic birch and hardwood for stained or clear finish.  Many of the common ornament patterns do not present an opportunity to show off much pretty grain which pushes me to baltic birch for those.  Something for you to give some thought to.  Regards, GLC from Cypress, Tx

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 02:09:32 pm »
....if I am painting them I use baltic birch and hardwood for stained or clear finish.
Thanks!

What is your source for 1/4" hardwood?  Do you purchase it as such, or do you resaw your own?

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 03:53:09 pm »
I sell Christmas ornaments at craft shows and do very well. I cut mine out of 1/8"Baltic Birch, stacked cut 4 at a time. This saves a lot of time  and more profitable.

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:27:00 am »
I purchase from Heritagewood.com.  They have baltic birch ply and "spec wood" in 1/8" and 1/4" thickness as well as thicker cuts.  They do not carry a bountiful inventory, but cut to order.  This usually runs two to three weeks for order to delivery cycle.  Try to think ahead or have other things on hand when you order from them so there is no impact to you.  Toneman's suggestion to stack cut will increase your efficiency and speed.

Regards GLC 

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 04:21:20 pm »
I've made a lot of ornaments over the past 20+ years and I think aesthetically speaking, the thinner the material the better.  I resaw and plane my own hardwood, so I can make it whatever thickness I want.  For really delicate fretwork ornaments, I typically use 1/8" Baltic Birch ply.  It's stronger and less prone to breakage.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 09:13:32 am »
I find it interesting that some people prefer 1/8" baltic birch.

I am fairly new, so this may just be my inexperience, but I would have thought that 1/8" would be a bit fragile, at least for some patterns.

There is a sheet of 1/8" at home, maybe I will cut a strip off one side and cut a few patterns, and see what they come out like.

With 1/8" material, your stack cutting could produce a LOT!  :)

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 04:23:37 pm »
I have cut both 1/8" and 1/4" this week. I am going to go back and recut the 1/4'" in 1/8" because the 1/4" inch looks to heavy and bulky.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:24:45 pm »
I'm actually considering going to 3/32" or 1/16" for my ornaments this year.  BB ply is much less fragile and prone to breakage than hardwood of the same thickness.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 10:47:28 pm »
I've been cutting ornaments for 12 years and use 2 thicknesses.  In hardwoods, it's always 1/4" and for the baltic birch plywood my clients prefer 1/16".  I can cut 10 at a time in that thickness, but really prefer just 5 or 6 so I can use a #1 blade.

My new favorite blades are the Pegas modified geometry, but I only use the #1, because they are basically the same as Olson Mach blades, and I still have a ton of those in sizes 3,5 and 7.  Really only use the #3.  If they made a size #1, I'd have never found the Pegas.  These blades leave the back TOTALLY smooth, with no sanding required.  Now I don't know what to do with all the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse #1's that I have left.  Don't care to use them because of all the sanding required on the back.
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 10:58:27 am »
What, wait - Baltic Birch is available in 1/16"?

Up here, I think the thinnest is 1/8".

Just checked the Exotic Woods of Oakville website, and the thinnest they list is 3 ply 1/8".

How do you get 1/16"?  How can you have less than 3 plies???

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 11:47:49 am »
For 1/16" baltic birch try Ebay search "baltic birch 1/16""    Regards, GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 04:17:09 pm »
Michaels carries it here, in small sheets.  A little pricey, but convenient.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 11:26:01 pm »
I get mine from an  aircraft supply company, and it's 3 ply.  Also comes in 1/32", but that's just too thin for me.  Some clients called it dainty, but others called it flimsy.  I like the 1/16" 'cause it's sturdy enough, but still light enough to tie on a gift, or enclose in a hand-delivered card.

It's available in lots of sizes, and shipping isn't too bad.  I buy it in 12 X 24 inch sheets, and then cut those down to 4X8" pieces which can hold 2 ornaments each.
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 09:36:48 am »
Once again, something new is learned here!  Much appreciated.

I have found a few sources for 1/16" baltic birch in Canada.  Some are very expensive, and others are just expensive.

Michaels Canada does not list it on their website.

Suppliers like Exotic Woods Oakville and Peacock do not list anything under 1/8".

SMF

Teknoromi