Author Topic: if you own a dw788 dewalt scroll saw please answer thanks.  (Read 5250 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
if you own a dw788 dewalt scroll saw please answer thanks.
« on: April 18, 2011, 05:08:38 am »
When lefting the arm on the scroll saw it sometime hard to lift it all the way up because and sometimes it easy to left that what does on mine from time to time and sometimes it runs loud then other times it quiet runs like it when it is new.   I got this saw I think last july.

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: if you own a dw788 dewalt scroll saw please answer thanks.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:27:03 am »
I'm not sure what you are talking about but, maybe the reason the arm is hard to lift at times is the position of the blade. If the blade arms stop in the higher position it may or may not be easier than if they stop in the lower position. I have an EZ lift on mine and haven't noticed a problem.
As to the noise, the only time I have noticed a difference is when the blade doesn't have enough tension on it. It will rattle some if the blade loosens up while cutting so I just stop and re -adjust the tension on it.
Hope that helps a little.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:32:39 am »
It is a common problem with the DW788. If the top arm does not lift all the way for me I tap the switch on and off. That changes the the position of the arms. Then you can lift the arm all the way.
Dan In Southern California

Tako Kichi

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:32:44 am »
From what I've seen most scroll saws use a counter-balance weight on the motor shaft  (a bit like a triangular section out of a flywheel). If the saw stops with the counter-balance weight at either 'top dead centre' (TDC) or even worse at 'bottom dead centre' (BDC) then the arms will be difficult (or even impossible) to move vertically due to the nature of the mechanical linkages involved. There are a couple of solutions to this problem.

1. If you have easy access to the motor/weight (like I do) then simply reaching around the motor to the weight and rotating it a few degrees will fix the problem. WARNING: Be absolutely sure you cannot start the machine while your hand is in the workings for obvious reasons! If in doubt UNPLUG!

2. If you cannot easily access the motor/weight then 'blip' the power on/off (as dgman said) and the chances are the weight will stop at some position other than TDC or BDC and the arms will move freely.

This is a common problem in mechanical devices and the effects have been known for centuries, right from the birth of the industrial revolution and the invention of the first pieces of complex machinery. This is why some machines (like sewing machines, punch presses or car engines etc.) have circular flywheels in order to try and prevent the linkages from stopping at TDC or BDC.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:01:50 pm by Tako Kichi »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:44:51 pm »
Thanks for the explanation on the cause Larry. Unfortunately there is no easy access to the motor shaft on the DeWalt. So tapping the switch or foot switch is the only remedy.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 03:43:17 pm »
yes when lefting the scroll saw arm sometime it catches and hard to left.  Well there might not be anything wrong with it after all then? So maybe I don't have to take it in and have it look at.  but as far as the change in the sound when starting up the saw it get loud and that could be the blade slipping the other thing I noices sometime then tension that set the tension of the bland sometime it well tight the blade up then other times it don't. i'm not good at telling what is wrong with it.  sometime the tension setting sometime that slip a little then I have to re do it then it grabs the blade and sometime it works and sounds like it when it was new.  Sorry guys I just didn't get much sleep last night so i'm not thinking clearly.   

thanks for the help..

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:05:44 pm »
It sounds like the blade is slipping in the blade clamps. There are a couple of things you can to do. First thing to consider is there is a little bit of oil on the blades from the manufacturing process. Some folks use mineral spirits to clean the oil off. I use a piece of 220 grit sandpaper folded in half with the grit facing inside. I sand the ends of the blades before I install it in the saw. The next thing you can do is sand the ends of the thumb screws with the 220 grit sandpaper. Remove the the thumb screw. Lay the sandpaper flat on your saw table, then sand the end of the thumb screw till it is no longer shiny. These steps should help with the blades slipping.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
if you own a dw788 dewalt scroll saw please answer thanks.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 01:14:54 pm »
umm that didn't work I try it and it still makes that loud noise  I have a olson blade number 5 matchspeed rev. It will  make the loud noise when I turn it up the speed to between 7 and 8 and higher i don't think that is right even for a number 5 olson blade matchspeed. But when I turn it down to 7 or lower then the noise stop. The guy at dewalt told me it some kind of a controller that need to replaces. I took it in to have it a look at amc tools of the north. It still under warranty.

So it still under warranty so I say what the heck and let them check it out.... and see what the h&^% is going on with it.

I love my scroll saw so much I ask the scroll saw to marry me :-*  but scroll saw said no :(
ok later then..

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »
got it fix.  There was some screws that were lose and the guy tight them up and it sounds like new again i'm so happy now.  I also found out that PASTE wax is not good for any table saw and scroll saws. This guy told me that this is better the bostik top cote spray and you can get it at www.acmetools.com or order it online or here http://www.amazon.com/Bostik-10220-Aerosol-Top-Cote/dp/B0000223UD/ref=pd_rhf_p_img_1

I have not yet test out the scroll saw yet still sitting in the care it's raining out side and i don't what my little baby to get wet i like her dry.

later
cyberghost
and thanks for the help everyone.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 02:19:20 am by cyberghost »

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:40:59 pm »
got it fix.  There was some screws that were lose and the guy tight them up and it sounds like new again i'm so happy now.  I also found out that paste wax is not good for any table saw and scroll saws. This guy told me that this is better the bostik top cote spray and you can get it at www.acmetools.com or order it online or here http://www.amazon.com/Bostik-10220-Aerosol-Top-Cote/dp/B0000223UD/ref=pd_rhf_p_img_1

I have not yet test out the scroll saw yet still sitting in the care it's raining out side and i don't what my little baby to get wet i like her dry.

later
cyberghost
and thanks for the help everyone.

Ok, now I have a question for you...What is wrong with paste wax on a table saw or scroll saw?????
I have been using Johnson's paste wax on both my table saw and scroll saw and even on my drill press, joiner and planer for years. None of them have rusted or fallen apart so far.
I just want to know why the man told you that. Is it because he doesn't sell paste wax or did he have a serious reason?

Rog

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:53:02 pm »
roger, In my opinion there is nothing wrong with using wax on your cast iron table tops as long as the wax does not contain silicone.  Silicone can interfere with finishes if it gets on your projects. Most car waxes contain silicone so you don't want to use them on your tools. I use Minwax finishing wax on my tool table tops because that is what I have on hand. Most folks use Johnson's paste wax which does not contain silicone.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »
Dan beat me to the answer. He is right, the silicone in some waxes is not good for projects.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:01:49 pm »
I understand about the silicone being bad for wood finishes but, he did not say automotive wax, he said PASTE wax.
I can't help but think that the salesman was just doing his job, trying to make another sale to a new customer.
I used to be a salesman but, I never used false information to get a sale.
Moreover he should have given a reason for telling a customer something that may or may not be true.

Rog
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:06:16 pm by Rapid Roger »

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 10:16:53 pm »
I think that there is a brand of paste wax that does have silicone in it. I don't remember which one it is, but thought I had heard that somewhere.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 12:17:02 am »
Hey Rog!

The guy has a $17 can of spray to sell!

Johnson's Paste was about $5.50 and will outlast me and my heirs!

It is called 'marketing'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi