Author Topic: Need advice can anyone advise please  (Read 5578 times)

Gary L

Need advice can anyone advise please
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:25:54 pm »
Hi all just found this wonderful site and purchased my first scroll saw not the best but hopefully it will do me for a while! I am seeking advice on the best way to transfer images to cut out watched the videos and they are using a spray of some description to stick image on to the wood you are cutting! I live in the UK and have not seen anything like this anyone know of one? Tracing is long winded and something you need a lot more concentration and time hope someone can advise! Your help would be very much appreciated  :)

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: Need advice can anyone advise please
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:50:24 pm »
Our local stationary shop sells a repositionable spray glue that I use, it's made by 3M and called "Spray Mount". It works well and comes off quite easy after everything is cut out. Any trouble removing it and I dip a paper towel in celulose thinners and wipe it over the piece and it comes off straight away.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:34:52 pm »
With spray glue it's important that it's repositionable. My local art shop sells repositionable glue, 3m and it's own brand. Also Wilkos sell Bostick Fast tac repositionable which I find just as good as the 3m but a lot cheaper.
happy scrolling
Steve
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

BRE1205

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:36:36 pm »
Howdy there Gary.  I print out my patterns, then I use painter's tape on the wood, then spray adhesive (I've used various brands) on the pattern, then gluing it to the tape. Most sprays I have found to be repositionable for a short time. I use painter's tape because it always comes off easily, even when you leave the project for a while, like a few days or so. The glue in the tape also serves as a lubricant for your blade, helping it last longer, as blades have a fairly short life span anyway. On projects with small, fragile pieces, sanding the pattern off usually is not an option without damage. 
I've only been scrolling for a few short years, but have learned a lot on forums like this one and Steve Good's videos have been a wealth of information for me.  These scrollers are the best and can answer most any questions, and always glad to help !
Hope this helps. Happy scrolling and enjoy this awesome area of woodworking.
Billie Ray

Gary L

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »
What a great response thank you will be sure to pay the local art shop a visit and hopefully will be scrolling the weekend away! Have a few projects i have found i would like to try!
Have just done the flower pot stand with the lady with the broom made with 9mm mdf it came out really well for a first attempt but think my saw struggled a little with such a tiny blade think i need to get some birch ply or some softwood, pine maybe! Thanks for the advice again everyone and i am glad to have joined this brilliant forum! Happy scrolling and thanks Steve for allowing us to try these patterns some wonderful pieces :)

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:44 am »
Gary , we love to look at others projects , so if you have a picture of it would you like to post it in the brag forum or the gallery ( please )
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:21:02 pm »
I print my images from the computer onto regular paper.

Then I lightly spray the back with spray glue.  Lightly is the key here.  If you spray a nice thinck coating then it will stick on the wood and you wont be able to get it off.  they you have to sand like crazy and its annoying.

Trial and error will tell you how much a light spray is.

My key os if I can see wet glue on the paper, its too much. I spray for maybe 1 second for the whole piece.

Gary L

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 02:26:39 pm »
I wish i could say the design is my own but its one i have used from Steve's large selection really would like to do this again in something other than mdf i certainly will share any work worth showing in the future this one is my first and i am not 100% happy with the outcome the straight lines are more challenging than some of the curves I found and a lot of practice is needed but will hopefully get some better pieces with a little more practice! :)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 03:40:06 pm »
Welcome Gary....I think the majority uses the Painters Tape with pattern spray glued
on top.  Most any spray glue will work.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Dougturner

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 09:02:44 pm »
A stationary glue stick or rubber cement will also work.You can get large adhesive labels and print your patterns on them, but that gets expensive.

retiredguy

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 02:41:45 am »
Instead of painters tape, I use a paper tape that they use for transferring decals, it works great and stick to the wood well, then spray pattern and apply pattern to the decal transfer tape.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 09:16:02 am »
There have been a few posts recently on using stick-on labels to get the image on the wood. I tried one and it worked great. Stays on and peels off easily. Needs clear packing tape on top to help it stay flat.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

sullycroller

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:12:02 pm »
I use Loctite brand spray adhesive and cover the pattern with clear packing tape. comes right off when i'm done.

sully

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 07:17:28 pm »
I buy 8.5 x 11 sticker sheets you can print on your computer. ( laser are cheaper than inkjet ones and they work about the same )
they come off easy and leave no residue - if you forget them and leave them on your wood for a while
sometimes you can have a problem -but using an old hairdryer and warming them up,
they come off real quick and clean ...
I took a dowel, hammered in a finishing nail , ground off the head
so i could peal away the sticker if i got it to hot -does the trick !

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 11:38:50 am »
I have recently tried this method. Cut white contact paper into the size you want.  Flatten the curl by pulling it over the edge of a table.  Then I print right onto the contact paper.  You have to wait just a bit for it to dry.  then stick it to the wood and saw.  It removes in one piece.

Just to try the label paper I just bought 500 sheets of 8.5 x 11 for $28.00 on Ebay.
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi