Author Topic: Porter cable scroll saw  (Read 9622 times)

RJweb

Porter cable scroll saw
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:12:47 pm »
I found the pc sc on CL today, do you feel it is worth 135.00, thx for your help

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/3247841742.html

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Porter cable scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:22:39 pm »
Brand new at the Blue Store for $189.  I had 2. the first came out of the box with the cable that adjusts the table tilt hanging out and the table would not tilt correctly. My second developed the same problem after a few months and I was able to return it for a full refund. I liked the saw very much except for that. and its a bottom feed machine. Also I made a tool to tighten the bottom tension bolt as it was to tough for my fingers. After the second break down, I started doing research and found that was a common problem. Many said it was a good saw until you tilt the table.  If you do get it,  #1  Check the tilt. and #2  see if the indicator reads 0 when the table is square to the blade or at least close. My second started getting off as much as 15 degrees. Table was level and square to the blade indicator read 15. Shortly after that it just came apart.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

RJweb

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:37:25 pm »
thx for your info, I ust found a dw 788 for 325.00, its in excellant shape, this might be a better choice.

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:40:51 am »
If you're on a tight budget, the PC is a pretty good saw.  I never had any trouble with the tilt on mine, and I never relied on the scale to tell me where my table was.  I figured it was too "gimmicky" to be accurate.  I did lose the bellows after about a year, but simply replaced them with a fish tank air pump.  Like Billy said, it is a bottom feeder, but it accepts pinless blades and is a very capable saw.  As for being worth $135, that'd depend on age/condition. 

If you're thinking about the 788, to me that price is a little steep for a used one, considering you can find them on sale sometimes for between $350 -$400.  JMO

Good luck!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:54:50 am »
I know a couple people who have the Porter Cable and are very happy with it.  It got the best reviews for the price point saw.  $325 is a good deal on the 788 if it is good shape.  You will be much happier and capable of doing more with the 788.  Just my 2 cents.

daliclimbs

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:15:05 pm »
I have 2 saws. A dewalt and the PC. More often than not I use the PC. Never had a single issue with it! I use a protracter on my table for accuracy and made a blade tension tool out of PVC for quick blade changes. I love my PC.

Mainewoods

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 06:13:26 pm »
made a blade tension tool out of PVC for quick blade changes.

Scott, can you explain this further?  I don't use my PC right now, but it might be nice to use for certain cuttings.

Glen

daliclimbs

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:21:35 am »
Sure Glen. Its just a 3/4" piece of PVC with a notch in the end. It is much easier than trying to get your fingers in there. I can actually change a blade without tilting the table.

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:54:04 pm »
Thanks Scott!  I get it now!

Actually, I pretty much made myself learn to change the blades by feel, without tilting the table, and since I'm left handed, it was easy enough to do from the left side on the PC.  I thought (hoped) maybe you had come up with a tension-ing system that could be worked without reaching to the back end of the saw!  Darn!   ;)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 05:21:01 pm »
I have the same system for both the Dewalt and the Delta.  My right hand is dead so I feel with my left and put the pvc pipe on and then can turn it out where I can see it.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 09:14:31 pm »
Even tho I had problems with my PC Scrollsaw I still liked it. Cut a lot of projects with it. I also made a PVC wrench like those shown. A friend that has a metal lathe made me a metal wrench with a brass head to fit the thumb knob. I used it for a good while, but when doing a piece with lots of frets, I would switch back to the PVC because of the weight.  I also switced to  Mikes FD blades before switching to the 788. That in itself was like getting a new saw.

RJweb

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 04:05:13 pm »
Ok, I purchased a dw 788 scroll saw, light and stand for 250.00 on cl, it is in excelant condition.

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 07:30:33 pm »
If the condition is as stated you  really got a super deal Congrats!

countryscroller

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 07:43:12 pm »
Wow RJ I purchased the DW788, light, and stand on the dewalt store online and paid about $600 total.

SMF

Teknoromi