Author Topic: 1" thck scroll saw wood  (Read 3252 times)

Offline cgseymour

• View Profile
1" thck scroll saw wood
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:32:00 pm »
Hello All,
I have some patterns that are calling for 1" thick wood.  Does anyone have a source for the 1" thick wood?  I know I can glue up to get to the 1" but was curious if anyone knew of a source that would have that without having to glue up.

Thank you

thewoodartist

Re: 1" thck scroll saw wood
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 04:03:05 pm »
If you have a saw mill close to you. You can get great wood from them that is cut to your spec. I get mine from a local saw mill here and have them rough cut what I need usually anywhere from an 1/8 to 1/4 inch more than what I need then I plane it myself with my planner. As far as a source online I'm not sure I've never ordered wood online being I use mostly western cedar and here it's always available and have 2 mills close to get it from.

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 06:25:18 pm »
Had the same question for Ocooch hardwoods. They can provide it but kind of push you towards 7/8ths since it is more cost effective.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 11:13:42 am »
If you have a planer, You can buy most woods in 6/4 thickness (1-1/2") and plane it down to any thickness.
It seems like a waste I know but, it will be more readily available and maybe even cheaper than having some wood custom cut.
If you have a band saw and can re-saw thicker material, You may be able to come up with some even thicker material and get two 1" thick boards out of one piece.
A lot depends on how much 1" thick material you need as well as available wood working tools also.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline cgseymour

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:58:39 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will be watching craigslist for bandsaw and planer.

Until then glue 'em up  ::)

Thanks again for the responses and suggestions.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:28:18 am »
Please don't get me wrong.  :-[ 
I didn't mean to imply that a planer or band saw is a MUST have for your shop. If all you re doing is scroll saw work, they are probably not worth the money.  :o
Most scroll work uses fairly small amounts of wood for most projects and a small (short) piece of wood will not work in a planer very well any way. Planers are meant for running longer material (5 foot or more) for larger furniture type wood working and the like.
A band saw is another "nice" tool to have for bigger projects but, for scrolling, the ability to re-saw is the only advantage. The scroll saw will work for most other purposes.
If you are planning on expanding your horizons in wood working as far as larger projects (book cases, end tables and rocking chairs etc.) then go for it!  :D  As long as you have the shop space and the desire to do wood working as a hobby for a long period of time you will get good use out of them.  :-\ ::) ;)

Rog

Rog

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »
If you purchase 5/4 wood it will be 1" ,Like 1" is 3/4

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 08:42:25 pm »
herrwood,

When you are talking about 1" thick boards being 3/4", you are thinking of 4s boards. That is to say that they are already finished (jointed and planed to a nice smooth surface) on all four sides like you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot or a lumber yard.
 When you talk about 4/4 boards (USUALLY) you are talking about rough cut wood which will vary from 1-1/16" to 15/16" thick so that a person can finish them himself with a planer and jointer. A 5/4 board would be around 1-1/4" thick and be rough cut and need to be finished.
As far as buying a 4s board of  1" thick (which would be a 5/4 when rough cut) I don't think you can find one any where unless you pay a mill operator to finish one out for you.
I know this seems confusing and unfair (If I pay for a 1 x 6 board, darn it I want it to measure 1" thick and 6" wide!) But, the truth of the matter is that your 1x6 will actually measure 3/4" x 5-3/4" (if not 5-1/2") That is just way it is!?
I live in a fairly old house (built in 1953) The studs in the walls measure 2" x 4". I added a bedroom to the house in 1977, the studs in those walls 1-3/4" x 3-3/4" and today if you buy wall studs, they will measure 1-1/2" x 3-1/2"! It just don't seem right does it?  >:(

Rog

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 08:52:32 pm »
 I buy 5/4 pine the better grades at the local home depot  finished all 4 sides (4s).

http://www.homedepot.com/s/5%252F4%2520pine?NCNI-5

)
herrwood,

When you are talking about 1" thick boards being 3/4", you are thinking of 4s boards. That is to say that they are already finished (jointed and planed to a nice smooth surface) on all four sides like you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot or a lumber yard.
 When you talk about 4/4 boards (USUALLY) you are talking about rough cut wood which will vary from 1-1/16" to 15/16" thick so that a person can finish them himself with a planer and jointer. A 5/4 board would be around 1-1/4" thick and be rough cut and need to be finished.
As far as buying a 4s board of  1" thick (which would be a 5/4 when rough cut) I don't think you can find one any where unless you pay a mill operator to finish one out for you.
I know this seems confusing and unfair (If I pay for a 1 x 6 board, darn it I want it to measure 1" thick and 6" wide!) But, the truth of the matter is that your 1x6 will actually measure 3/4" x 5-3/4" (if not 5-1/2") That is just way it is!?
I live in a fairly old house (built in 1953) The studs in the walls measure 2" x 4". I added a bedroom to the house in 1977, the studs in those walls 1-3/4" x 3-3/4" and today if you buy wall studs, they will measure 1-1/2" x 3-1/2"! It just don't seem right does it?  >:(

Rog
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:01:50 pm by herrwood »

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:33:09 pm »
After all this discussion about 4/4, 5/4 and different thickness, is it possible that the pattern designer is really calling for a thickness more of what a 1" standard board use to be, i.e. 3/4" or 13/16" or even 7/8", whatever is available from your lumber sources. Does the piece really require a full 1" thickness?

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 09:16:42 am »
It should not matter for a standard scroll saw pattern unless this is for some special use that would require the extra thickness.

ChuckD

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 06:42:20 pm »
I put up a 400 foot cedar fence, six feet high.  The wood was 5/4 which was an inch thick.  I got about 300 extra pieces, mostly for intaria but I found that I use it for a lot of things.  Works great for signs, pet tombstone markers, etc.  So check with your local fencing company and see where they get their wood that size.  Good luck

Offline cgseymour

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 07:17:03 am »
Thank you for all the replies.
@herrwood, you are correct in that the pattern would probably look fine with 3/4 lumber ( many are the vases from Steve's book).

I have that gluing up the 1/2 pieces does provide more than adequate results in most cases, was really just a curiosity on my part.

Thanks again to all who replied with great tips and information.

Chris

SMF

Teknoromi