Author Topic: Can I convert a 2 speed saw to a multi-speed with a footswitch?  (Read 874 times)

KYGUYINOHIO

I have a older Delta 40-560 that is a two speed saw. Hope I was hoping to operate it with a foot switch hoping that it would make it multi speed because I think fast is too fast and slow is too slow for the two speeds. But all it does is turn this all on and off.   Has anyone converted a two-speed scroll saw to a multi speed saw if so how would I go about doing that?

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Can I convert a 2 speed saw to a multi-speed with a footswitch?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 05:45:29 pm »
No!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:56:48 pm »
The quick and dirty answer to that is no.  However if you know electronics it would be possible but not inexpensive or easy to do. I have found that for most scrolling I do not need to change my speed for my cuts.  Work with what you have its a good saw.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:19:49 am »
You could use a router speed control, however when you dial the speed down you will also be reducing the power.  I tried it once on a drill press whose electronic speed control failed.  The loss of power was so substantial I gave up and replaced it.  So, as the other guys said, from a practical standpoint, no it isn't possible.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi