Author Topic: 3D Totem Pole Pattern  (Read 1744 times)

eaglehawk

3D Totem Pole Pattern
« on: June 18, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »
i've been asked if I could make a 3d totem pole.  I cannot seem to find one, but thought I'd check with you all to see if there was such a pattern out there.

Or if there is a tutorial for how to make 3d patterns I could make my own but I haven't been able to find one of those.

sp_343

Re: 3D Totem Pole Pattern
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 06:29:51 pm »
Depends how big you are looking for....I got a plan for a BIG totem pole from Meisel Wood Hobby...made from 3/4" lumber and about 6' tall...

eaglehawk

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:49:13 am »
Something really small, the person that is asking me to do this is wanting something like keychains or as a necklace.  At the most maybe 3-4" tall.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 01:10:46 pm »
I would start by drawing it out on paper about the size you want. Say 3/4" x about 4" tall. Do a front view and beside that draw a side view. Make a copy or two of your drawing and cut out each piece. Then cut a piece of wood about 3/4" square by the length and tape (or glue) the front pattern to one side of your wood and the side pattern to the correct side and start cutting it out. I assume it will be mostly square at first but you can sand it rounder after it is cut.
That may sound difficult ("I can't draw a straight line.") at first but, you just try it once before you start crying. You might just be supprised!
Most totems are brightly colored so after you paint it, it will look great! And the second one will be even better. And now you can start making more patterns of other things and you will soon catch up with Charlie. Well, maybe that is a bit of a stretch but, you wont be afraid to try at least.  ;D

Rog
PS Let me know how it turned out! Maybe post a picture or something.  ;D
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi