Author Topic: Filling pattern requests...  (Read 3843 times)

Charlie Dearing

Filling pattern requests...
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:24 am »
I hate to be the one to have to say this, but folks, we have to be careful.  I know many of us have many many patterns. When you see someone ask for patterns of a specific type...you want to help and that's a good thing.  The thing is, as a good rule and a safe rule, please don't post patterns on this forum that are copyrighted or that were not designed by you.  Even if you got that pattern for free from another site.  The only way we can do that is for you to get permission from the original designer to re-post their free pattern here. It just keeps liability off of Steve's hands if anyone is upset seeing their pattern posted here without permission.  Obviously we can't control what is done between people in private email so I recommend that method if it isn't your pattern.
Sorry to be a fuddy duddy about it, but as some of us have seen the scars left behind from copyright infringement.  Trust me, I know how respecting copyrights can completely turn pattern designing on it's tail and does severely limit what I or other designers can provide. 

Charlie Dearing

Re: Filling pattern requests...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:06:05 am »
...As a matter of fact I was corresponding with another designer and that person also noted how copyrights and the past events have really made many of us designers paranoid about our work lol.  Speaking for myself, I had to stop selling over 100 patterns when I learned some of the ins and outs of what's legal and what's not.  Admittedly, I may STILL need to remove some of my patterns for that reason.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:58:09 am »
Charlie....If they are your patterns, why do you need to remove them?
I'm from North Dakota

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:37:25 am »
Because some were designed before I knew more about copyrights.  Some were NASCAR related, some were from drawings/paintings i found on the web, etc.

Offline deerwatcher76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:44:19 pm »
I have had people ask for patterns that I cut and would love to help them out. But not being a designer I don't feel it is right to give away someone elses work. I try to point them in the right dirrection some are happy this way but some are not. You folks who design and give for free mean to much to me to go behind your back and give them away
JD

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 06:02:37 pm »
So true JD, I can't understand people that throw a tizzy when they bare turned down by me for a pattern that I got for free.
Sorry mate not my pattern to give please go to Blah blah blah.com
Charlie and others give their patterns to us for free and if someone else wants one they can bloodly well join the site/sites to get them the same as me/the rest of us.

Thanks Charlie and others (to many to type) for you valued time.

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 06:57:30 pm »
I respectfuly disagree.
If something is given out or published for "FREE" on the internet, it becomes public domain and you can do anything with it.
Now if you pay for a pattern or even buy a book with a pattern in that someone else wants you to "GIVE" them that is wrong.
I understand that the orignal pattern designer (if he is trying to make money at it) charges any amount for it then you should honor that fact and not let anyone else have it without paying the orginal designer.
If I draw a pattern of the statue of liberty and give it to someone for free to use, I should expect to loose all rights to that pattern afterward. If, on the other hand, I sell it for $2.00 to some one and his friend wants to use it, then he should send the friend to me with $2.00 in his hand.
If you give or sell a pattern to someone, is there a limit on how meny times he can copy it or cut it? I don't think so. If I found a really "hot" pattern (free or purchased) and could sell alot of them I would assume that the sky is the limit and if I could make $2.00 per item and sold 200 of them, is that wrong?
Reguardless if I bought the pattern or it was downloaded off the internet for free, I would be making money off of some one elses design.
Just my two cents worth.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 08:50:12 pm »
Ok, on the public domain comment, When I post free patterns on this forum, I specifically say "For members of this forum only" (did initially).  I do it as a gift for being a member here.  My point in bringing this up though, was for this forum and respecting the original designer.  Between two people in emails, etc....that's up to you and that other person.
On the amount of finished product sold from that pattern... that's why many say "No mass production please" or notes to limits on copies.  Realistically, we can't monitor or enforce much in most cases.  That's why we rely on good morals.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 01:01:16 am »
A copyright needs to be registered in order for infringement to me enforced.
I'm from North Dakota

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 06:52:24 am »
Agreed, but I'm still giving all of you the credit as being good moral people.  I also want to repeat that this topic was started in relation to this forum.  I know Steve doesn't want to be entangled in copyright fights or unapproved sharing.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 09:39:47 am »
You can't depend on honesty or morals.  Not everybody's got em.  I used to register my designs and post the number. It deters at least some people.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:54:30 am »
Between two people in emails, etc....that's up to you and that other person.

I do not agree with this statement one Iota.  Even sharing behind closed doors is not okay.  If you are not the designer of a pattern it is not okay to share,give,sell someone elses design even if you go it for free.  In e-mails or on a street corner.  it is not yours.

Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 06:12:29 pm »
I agree. I am saying we cant control it if its in emails.  Heck, you know I'm not saying it's ok.  Again, this topic was started in relation to this forum.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »
Oh I know you are not condoning it.  I understand that mods cannot control what goes on outside the forum.  How ever My opinion is it is wrong to share in any fashion or form if the person is not the creator of the design.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 09:29:24 pm »
There is just too much grey area here and we all know you can not enforce your morals on anyone else. You know in your mind what is right and what is wrong. I know what I think is right and what is wrong. So we are just bumping heads here.
Case in point.....
Russ[C] posted on the "brag forum" under "CCA Red Fish" that he used Steves pattern of "Kiss My Bass" to make gifts, only he changed it to "Join CCA". Now if I use the same pattern and change it to "Rogers Trophy", whos pattern is it???
As the orginal designer it is Steves pattern but, since Russ changed it, does that make it Russ' pattern and if I change it yet again, can I claim it? Or are we talking about three different patterns?
This can go on for ever. I understand what Charlie is saying and why, but we can't make this a legal issue (we'll leave that to govenment and lawyers) and we can't make it a moral issue (we'll leave that to the clergy and the man up stairs) So lets just try to use that good old second commandment  and do unto others as you.........well, you know the rest...
At that, I will rest my case.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi