Author Topic: What is the first step for bandsawing my fallen elm tree?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
What is the first step for bandsawing my fallen elm tree?
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:10:01 pm »
I recently returned from a mini vacation to find my elm tree down in my yard. I have a bandsaw and a planner. I want to try using the elm for scroll saw projects vs the fire pit. What are my first steps to do this? Do I cut length, dry etc. or do I remove bark (bandsaw) stack to dry?? I am a rookie when it comes to this...thanx for all your help in advance...
GO PACK GO

Offline budprine

• View Profile
Re: What is the first step for bandsawing my fallen elm tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:05:39 pm »
I'd get the bark off then let it dry for a year.  If you cut it into lengths be sure to paint the ends to slow down the drying at the ends.  If you don't it will develop shrinkage cracks making it less usable.

After its dry if you can find a sawmill to "slab" it up that will make the rest of your work easier.  When drying slabs make sure you put wood slats between the slabs and keep them together to prevent warping.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:39:36 pm »
Thanx Bud!
GO PACK GO

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:33:20 pm »
Since you have a bandsaw, and you want to use the wood for scrolling, you could go ahead and cut the wood into planks of a handle-able size and then stack them with stickers in between to speed the drying.  With outside storage drying takes roughly a year per inch of thickness.  If stored indoors where temps are regulated and humidity reduced, the drying will proceed faster.  As Bud said, paint the ends to reduce splitting.  You will still need to joint and plane the boards when dry before using them.  If the boards are relatively small, they can be planed and jointed with the correct setup on a router.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:21:33 pm »
I also like to take slices of logs (we call them tree cookies, but I don't think that is a technical term)

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:39:36 pm »
I' prety sure that is not a technical term, but from now on it is the one I will use. Best description ever.  And you will get credit too!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi