Author Topic: band saw  (Read 3446 times)

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
band saw
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:52:57 pm »
I just bought a used Jet Band Saw for $150.00.  It's 14 inch cut witha 1 1/2 horse moter on it.  The saw is about 4 years old.  Is this saw worth the $150.00 I payed for it?
gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

thumbs

Re: band saw
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 10:08:38 pm »
Gene, if your having buyers remorse,I'll take it off your hands and throw in an extra $20--Richard

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:50:39 pm »
In other words Richard, you are telling me I got a good Deal?

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:52:08 pm »
You got a very good deal - I'm jealous!
Bill

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 11:21:55 pm »
Looks like you got a real good deal.  The 14" Jet is a nice saw and it will allow you to resaw. Congrats.

Barry

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:38:41 pm »
That's a steal of a deal.  I have the same saw, although I have put many accessories and mods on it.  I like the accessories Carter makes for bandsaws, and I have bought the roller guides, the scrolling guide, and the quick tension release.  It all goes to making the bandsaw fun.  It also comes in handy when you want to resaw boards into thinner ones.  I have the riser block on mine, increasing the capacity to 12" thick boards.  I have resawed 10" boards with good results.  You are going to enjoy that tool.  One suggestion, if you are new to bandsaws, watch a couple of the videos on proper setup and use and get a couple of good blades.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

thumbs

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 07:12:37 am »
Yes, Gene--you got a heck of a deal--wish I could find one at that price--like Bill said, get some good blades and do a few mods--and your set--enjoy--Richard

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:54:04 am »
If you didn't need it and won't use it, you wasted your money. If you did need it and are going to use it, it doesn't matter what you paid for it.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:49:14 pm »
That's a steal of a deal.  I have the same saw, although I have put many accessories and mods on it.  I like the accessories Carter makes for bandsaws, and I have bought the roller guides, the scrolling guide, and the quick tension release.  It all goes to making the bandsaw fun.  It also comes in handy when you want to resaw boards into thinner ones.  I have the riser block on mine, increasing the capacity to 12" thick boards.  I have resawed 10" boards with good results.  You are going to enjoy that tool.  One suggestion, if you are new to bandsaws, watch a couple of the videos on proper setup and use and get a couple of good blades.
Bill I have a question for you.  I too recently bought a Rigid band saw with the riser block.  The block is not in it....yet.  The question is regarding power of the motor.  If you go for the greater cutting depth doesn't the motor bog down since the original saw was designed for the shallower cut?  I'm not sure I want (or need) the greater cutting depth.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 08:40:55 pm »
Hey Bill,
What kind of blades do you call good, and where can I find blades that will work on the Jet saw?

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 12:16:38 am »
You can find good blades online, or from Carter products (I like their blades) or at Woodcraft, or most any woodworker's supply store.  There are a lot of manufacturers, and the old adage about getting what you pay for is usually correct.  It is important to match the type of blade to the job at hand.  A bandsaw doesn't use a universal blade.  A narrower blade (down to about 1/8") is for scroll work, while the same saw can use a 1/2" blade for resawing.  It also helps if the blade has approximately the right number of teeth per inch for the thickness of the job.  Usually a 1/2" for resawing, a 3/8 for general cutting and a 1/4 or 1/8 for scroll type work will give a good assortment.  the 1/8 blades tend to break easily but have a nice tight turning radius for scrolling.

BudPrine:  My Jet has a 1 1/2 horse motor and with the riser takes a 105" blade.  I obviously cut slower when resawing wide boards, but there is no problem at all with bogging with the setup I am using.  Just tonight I resawed some 4" wide maple and paduk to glue up for use making some sheath knife handles and the blade went through them like butter.  The real question is how often do you plan to cut something over the capacity of your saw without the riser?  Once you install the riser you won't take it back off.  That means all your blades now have to be the larger size (usually 105 for a 14 inch saw) and any old ones you have are no good any longer (gave all of mine away). 
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:34:42 pm »
Thanks for the input Bill.  I have the riser but no real need for it now.  Maybe I'll keep it for future reference.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 10:36:22 pm »
Thanks Bill for all the info and help with the saw.  I'll have to go to Woodsmith or online to find all those goodies.  Thanks again Bill

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

SMF

Teknoromi