Author Topic: Designer Firewood in picture format  (Read 4371 times)

Becky

Designer Firewood in picture format
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:48:48 pm »
Well, I have said all the cuss words I know so there is nothing left to do but share.

I have been working on this cuckoo clock for almost forever.  I cut it out late last summer, assembled it in late fall and did the finishing this winter.  It was to be a gift for my brother's birthday later this month.  I went to put the hardware in last night and ran into a problem.  There's a switch on the side where you can adjust the volume or just turn the cuckoo sound off all together.  When I went to put the switch in, it butted up against the battery holder thing and wouldn't go in.

Today I thought I had worked out a solution and went to play around with it when I discovered the REAL problem.  The reason it won't go in is because I assembled it backwards or inside out or something.  Simply put, when I assembled the basic box, it put the right side wall on the left side and vice versa.  If I had done it right, it wouldn't have been anywhere near the battery holder. 

I might be able to cut a hole in the battery holder but I'm not sure even that would give me enough room.  The battery has to go in there after all.  And, I am making heirloom-type clocks for all of my family members and I don't want to give him some kludged up thing.  That'd be a crummy heirloom.  So I have ordered new wood.  I am so disgusted with myself!  Such a stupid mistake.  I won't throw it away just yet.  I might think of a clever way to work around it in the future but for now, I will start over.

It would have been a gorgeous clock.  The picture isn't great but I didn't think it was worth taking a lot of trouble with it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Designer Firewood in picture format
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:16:33 pm »
I have a quick suggestion that MIGHT work.
Can you make the hole for the switch higher or lower than the battery holder and then make a large switch cover to go over the outside to cover the first hole as well as making it look like it is suppose to be there?

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline rrjwright

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:38:13 pm »
I  think I  would be upset as well.   That  looks  great.

Does  anybody know how to  dissolve the glue without effecting the finish so it can be re-assembled in the correct fashon??

Just  a  thought  for  recovery efforts. . .

Jim. . .
Scroll'n... Scroll'n.... Scroll'n
Keep that Sawdust Flow'n

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:58:22 am »
If you used white woodworking glue it can often be softened for dissassembly with a heat gun, however it can also damage the finish.  Give yourself a little time and you may find your solution.  Most of the things I build wind up with an "unexpected design modification: of some kind.

Beautiful clock.  You will find a way to make it work.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:22:27 am »
So sorry Becky, but, I would not give up just yet. Just a thought.......is it possible to install a remote system in the clock? If so, you could repair the hole for the switch you have already cut.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:53:09 am »
Could you move the battery box, it is just 2 wires? :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:11:22 pm »
Hi Becky,

HOW DARE YOU !!!

I thought I was the only person that ever put something together wrong.  Beautiful clock Lady.  With your talent, I'm confident that you will find a solution and no one else will even notice it.

jerry1939
 :'(

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 07:49:22 pm »
You could look for a different clock mechanism.
Maybe not a cuckoo version, just a normal type. then make a bird to glue into the cuckoo hole. It wouldn't be quite the heirloom that a real cuckoo clock would be, but it would still show off your awesome craftsmanship.

Becky

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 09:43:53 pm »
Well, I have explained the situation to my brother.  He knows my plan about the clocks so it isn't like I spoiled anything.  He doesn't know what sort of clock I am making so that part will still be a surprise.  

I'm pretty sure I won't just throw it out.  I'll just put it somewhere out of the way right now.  There are some ideas in here that I might be able to utilize as part of a salvage job but this will not be the clock I give to my brother.  He understands and says he will be happy to wait for me to make him a new one (which is what I really want to do even if it is a bit anal, lol).

Got a shipping notification from Occooch today so the wood is coming and temps are set to rise into the 50's next week!  I might be working on the new one by next weekend or at least out in the shop getting back to the feel of things after all these months inside.  As I recall, it wasn't that difficult to cut.  The hard part was making the cuckoo go in and out of the doors correctly and I can reuse the doors and door frame so that will be easy this time.  

BTW, I should have given credit for the pattern.  I got it from The Art Factory.  The screw-up was my fault, not their pattern's.  I love their patterns and would recommend them to anyone interested in trying a clock.  They have a wide range of difficulty levels too which is nice.

After all of this, I will definitely be posting a pic in the brag forum when I get the new one made.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 01:00:28 am »
Here is my suggestion. Print off everyones suggestions.  Put your clock away.  Then when you are feeing less stressed, read the reply's again and then figure out what you are going to do.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Becky

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 08:51:44 pm »
That's pretty much the plan.  I'll let ideas percolate for a while. 

Bill: I put it together with yellow Grizzly glue.  Not sure it would come apart but gave another gluing mistake to a co-worker who is also a woodworker (though with a different focus).  He said he would "experiment" with different solvents.  Actually, he offered that with my cuckoo clock but I don't want to risk it to random experimentation when there might be a simpler solution.  Meanwhile, my co-worker can play with a much less labor intensive piece.  I won't care if it gets destroyed.

Rog: There is an ornamental piece that comes right down the center of the side wall of the clock.  One each of the "halves" there are upper and lower ornamental cut outs so any solution will have to deal with them as well.  But I admit I am a proponent of making corrective things big and obvious so they look planned!

TVman: The battery box is combined with the clock mechanism, including the gizmo that sticks through the hole for the hands and the pendulum.  It pretty much has to stay put.

Tony:  I don't have a clue about a remote system.  The switch I have now is mechanical with settings for HI LOW and OFF.  It wires into the main clock mechanism.  Would a remote work with that?  If so, do you have a link? 

MrsN:  Call me stubborn but I would rather try and make it be a real cuckoo clock if I can.  I'd have to buy a new hardware set but I would have a real cuckoo clock when it is done.  Making it into a different sort of clock would probably be a last resort because it would just always remind me of the failure.  Yes, I tend to beat on myself over things like this.

One thing it will always be is a solid reminder to be extra careful during assembly.It certainly isn't the only mistake I've ever made but it was so easily preventable.  Whatever else I might get out of it, I definitely got a lesson.

Becky

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 11:19:15 pm »
That should have been yellow Gorilla glue.   Not sure where Grizzly came from, lol.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 08:51:00 am »
Seriously, don't beat yourself up about it!  Happens all the time.  I am in the process of building a box for my Grandaughter using contrasting glued up boards made by running pieces against a raised panel door router bit, and then gluing them together with the contrasting strip in the center.  The bottom came out fine.  I went to make a framed in raised panel top and forgot that I had attached an auxiliary board to my tablesaw fence, so I wound up cutting the raised panel 1 1/2 inches too narrow for the frame.

My last name is Murphy, so Murphy's law applies double!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 02:55:48 pm »
Becky, how will we learn if we don't make mistakes. I always keep my mistakes and put them up on the wall of my workshop. Nobody will know they are mistakes unless I tell them. So it becomes a visual reminder to me that I must always be careful. Also they sometimes become great conversation pieces.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Becky

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 11:45:13 pm »
Well, in late-breaking and OMG news, it turns out that acetone, delivered by eyedropper makes gorilla glue come apart!  Yesterday I gave that old messed-up project to my co-worker as reported and today he asked me to stop by his desk when I had the chance.  He had successfully removed the badly glued pieces.  Sanding or perhaps a little more acetone would remove the remaining glue and I have to say the wood looked none the worse for wear.  It'll take off finish too but this was unfinished.  He did say it takes patience.  I don't know exactly what the process is yet.

Anyway, I think I am going to try this route.  We'll have to take off the gable ornament and half the roof to get to the offending side wall but if that comes off OK, I'll just need to remake that one piece - at least if the ornamental pieces come off OK too.  Then it is just reassembly of those pieces and refinishing.  At the end of the day, if it doesn't work, I am still no worse off than starting over.

A word of warning (from my co-worker - who is obviously brilliant!).  Don't use finger nail polish remover without checking ingredients.  That often has moisturizer included because of the drying effects of acetone.  That would probably do something funky to the wood.  Also, he said that the fumes or whatever from acetone are heavier than air and highly flammable.  You need to be sure to be in a very well ventilated area.

This won't be happening for at least a few days but I'll let you know how it goes.

FWIW, I do understand that mistakes happen.  I just get really frustrated with myself when it is a major project that gets screwed up because I did something dramatically stupid.  But, as several of you have said, it is how we learn.  Likely I will get a rescue on this though possibly not.  Either way, I think it is definitely a "teachable moment."  If I didn't think so, I wouldn't have shared the story to begin with.

Anyway, with luck I will have a follow up on how things are going by sometime next week.

SMF

Teknoromi