Author Topic: Cold Weather Sawing  (Read 1550 times)

Offline rrjwright

• View Profile
Cold Weather Sawing
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:25:54 pm »
Besides frostbite and getting chilled to the core for myself... Is there  any  negative
effect to the scroll saw...   possibly  the  baffles cracking and breaking ??

Jim. . .
Scroll'n... Scroll'n.... Scroll'n
Keep that Sawdust Flow'n

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Cold Weather Sawing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:06 pm »
I haven't had issues with my craftsman or now my EX being in the cold, other than my fingers and toes and everything else gets cold. I have one of those dual propane heaters that mount on top of the bottle turn them on one side of me other side have dual halogen work lights both turned and keep fairly warm. And my garage is not a normal garage has lots of open spaces wind blows through like no other, have a tarp to hang on the doors to keep wind out. But overall I never had issues its just keeping me warm.

If it does get that too cold I just don't go out and cut unless I really need or want to get something done.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 06:38:07 pm »
I built the stand for my saw out of 1X4 lumber.  3 legs. 2 in the back & 1 in front.  Wheels under all legs.  I sit down and move the saw to sit and get up.

I extended the 2 back legs up & mounted a sloping "tray" above the back of the saw.  Mounted an electric heater on it that keeps the hands & saw table warm.  Works well.

You could also consider hanging a heat lamp from the ceiling for both heat & light.  Be sure of 2 things:

1.  Make the height adjustable to control the temperature.  (i.e. use a chain).
2. DO NOT hang it with anything combustible.  People start fires that way !!   :'(   :'(

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 07:20:37 pm »
Not sure but I hear that if you stick your tongue to the table it will freeze. I double-dog dare ya!! ;D ;D ;D
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:59:28 pm »
My lovely wife and I are married 51+ years.  I kid people that scrolling is good for the marriage.

The husband is in the garage making noise and sawdust.

The wife has peace and quiet to sit in the house and enjoy her coffee and a good book.

SMF

Teknoromi