Author Topic: Question about stack cutting  (Read 4411 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
Question about stack cutting
« on: November 28, 2013, 06:05:53 pm »
This is my first attempt at stack cutting. I am cutting three 1/8" Baltic Birch. The plywood seems to jumping or vibrating a lot while cutting. I taped all four edges real good to keep them from slipping, but was wondering if I should have used 2 sided tape in between the three pieces?

Any advice and help would be appreciated.
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
Re: Question about stack cutting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:18:11 pm »
You can use two sided tape, I typically don't, I just tape the four sides like you did. I'm thinking you might have mistakenly installed the blade upside down, that will cause a lot of jumping. Something to check anyway.

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 09:03:05 pm »
A lot of times if I am stack cutting I will use some nails to help hold it to. If you have a "waste" area where you won't cut, put a nail or two in it. Just don't have it protruding out the bottom or it will scratch the table.

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:14:16 pm »
You can use two sided tape, I typically don't, I just tape the four sides like you did. I'm thinking you might have mistakenly installed the blade upside down, that will cause a lot of jumping. Something to check anyway.

I am using Flying Dutchman #1 FD-UR and am putting the indented end on top I think that is right

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:14:53 pm »
A lot of times if I am stack cutting I will use some nails to help hold it to. If you have a "waste" area where you won't cut, put a nail or two in it. Just don't have it protruding out the bottom or it will scratch the table.

I will try the nails and see if that helps

old wormy

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:21:57 pm »
I clamp 4 pcs of 1/8" baltic birch together and put a spot of hotglue along the edges and at the corners and this holds the pieces for stack cutting. Make all the internal cuts first and leave the outside cuts until last.

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 09:27:26 pm »
The indent on top is correct, try applying pressure with your hand on top of the stack as close to the blade as you safely can.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 09:42:51 pm »
I like the hot glue method.  Perhaps the blade is too large or the saw speed is too slow for the thickness of your wood. That will cause chatter.  :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 10:23:33 pm »
I also use hotglue on the corners, then when done use a blowdryer to soften the glue and separate the pieces.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 08:56:10 am »
I have used tape, glue and nails and all are good. My favorite is staples. For a 3 stack of 1/8 Baltic Birch I use 3/8" staples. Holds all three pieces tightly together and with a medium pressure on the staple gun, they do not poke thru the backside.  For ornament type patterns, I usually put multiple patterns on a piece of wood.  Staples go in the corner waste areas and slso between the patterns in a couple of places for added holding. sometimes I make all the inside cuts first and sometimes I make the inside cuts on one piece and then the perimeter.  When done, toss the still stacked carcass in the waste box and remove the pattern.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 06:44:11 am »
Another possible cause of the wood jumping/bouncing is if the wood is slightly warped, then with the edges taped there is still a slight gap between the pieces in the centre. I have had this before and it does make it bounce a lot. the cure is a nail or staple in a waste area in the centre of the wood, this worked for me.

Keefie.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 08:32:53 am »
That's a real good point, Keefie! I forgot about that as a possibility! ;)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline rrjwright

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 12:02:23 pm »
instead of  just taping before glueing....  I    use  a  spring clamp to get a real tight fit before  hot glueing.   Just  using tape may leave a small  gap.

Just my 2 cents!!

Jim. . . 
Scroll'n... Scroll'n.... Scroll'n
Keep that Sawdust Flow'n

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 03:21:31 pm »
Well ALL above mentioned ways of securing wood together when stack cutting is GOOD.
     I just got into a HABIT of when cutting the blanks to just make them 1/4" over-size.
Then using Aleens white glue I just apply a drop around the borders.  Clamp for 10 minutes
and away I go.  Like the TINY nail method ok also.  Need to experiment with the STAPLES
as this sounds good also.  Just my lil ole 2 cents worth......................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 04:02:29 pm »
Frankly it sounds to me like the saw speed is the culprit!
Crank up the speed, hold your hand as close to the blade as possible. Bear down just enough to keep the wood in contact with the saw table.
Make damn sure you have plenty of tension!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi