Author Topic: Cutting at higher speeds  (Read 1407 times)

Offline rrjwright

• View Profile
Cutting at higher speeds
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:21:04 pm »
Recently I found I had better control cutting at higher speeds on my Delta 40-695.  Now when I try slowing my speed down a little it's like    pfff  "Slow motion".   Is  there  any long term harm at running your saw at high speed all  the time.   Would it be prone to a shorter life span or experience greater fatigue and wear.

Jim. . .
Scroll'n... Scroll'n.... Scroll'n
Keep that Sawdust Flow'n

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Re: Cutting at higher speeds
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 10:56:58 pm »
My personal experience indicates no harm in "ahead full" at the throttle.  Been running my saw like that for close to a year, but shall suggest you listen to the other folks here as well.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:20:15 pm »
Go for as fast as you want Jim! I always say that if you feel your cutting is lagging, speed it up! No harm will come to your saw.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:31:56 am »
I find that I get much smoother cuts at high speeds on the saw, just because you have your speed control cranked up doesn't mean you have to cut faster, you are still in control of the feed rate, on long straight cuts I increase the feed rate then slow the feed rate down for curves and more delecate work. 
The saws motor and linkages shouldn't come to any harm as it is designed to be used at the full range of speeds available from the speed controller.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 08:51:02 am »
I have two Hegners. One is a Multimax-3 (1986) that has only one speed and the other is a 2008 Polymax-3 which has different belt positions on the pulley to attain different speeds.  I leave it set at near the fastest speed and vary my feed rate as mentioned above.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi