Author Topic: PROXXON  (Read 3963 times)

Offline lospepos

• View Profile
PROXXON
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:41:57 am »
Hello, I need help, I want to buy saw PROXXON 460 but I don't know if it's good. Changing of saw blades looks difficult. I saw there are blade holders, I'm afraid of cutting inner holes. How I get blade trough hole with holder?  Josef

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
Re: PROXXON
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:45 am »
Hi Josef,

I don't know Proxon very well, but have hear them run.
they are silent and run really nice.
I have heard that's a good brand.
but can't give you any advise on the blade clamps, sorry.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Proxprof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 03:03:49 pm »
Hello Josef,

my saw is a proxxon saw and I am completely satisfied with it.
I have the Proxxon DSH-E  (like the DSH, only with variable speed) and it works fine.
At the bottom the blade is in a clamp with a screw, therefore you need a tool.
At the top the blad is in a clamp you can lock per hand. Both ways are easy, the second one goes faster.
At the pictures you can see both.

I think it's a very good saw but I have to be honest, I never worked with a Hegner saw.
But those saws cost a lot more.

The saw you want to buy is bigger than mine, but I think it will work the same.
And then, you have a good saw for a good price.

Good luck with your choice and when you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Richard.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:34:50 pm »
Can't find a review on that saw but it looks like it might be in the $250-300 range. This is pretty high for a simple saw. You might try comparing to the Porter-Cable - saw+stand+light for $180.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline lospepos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 05:13:39 am »
In Czech are sold only  theese saws: Dremel, G?de, Woodstar, Scheppach, Ferm, Einhell, Holzstar, Asist,
Proxxon sells DS 460, DSH (2 speed no, DSH/E) and DS 230/E
Josef

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 11:49:39 am »
Now i,m not sure about this but doesn't these machines take non standard blades?
Dave

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:33:38 pm »
found this at lumberjocks.com
Planeman
home | projects | blog
97 posts in 2038 days
#12 posted 2038 days ago
If your marquetry is small you might want to consider a scroll saw made by the German company Proxxon who offer two sizes ? one is a small model-making scroll saw (which I have) and the other is a larger scroll saw. You can price and view them at http://www.minicrafttools.com/saws.html. I have three scroll saws, each of a different size with the Proxxon the smallest. The smallest Proxxon saw is a precision machine that uses tiny jeweler?s saws. It is variable speed with a good range is and relatively quiet and steady. ALL scroll saws need to be bolted down to a somewhat heavy bench to deaden the vibrations of the vertical reciprocal motion. I find my little Proxxon ideal for things like cutting pearl inlay for musical instrument fretboards and precision model building. Its maximum cutting thickness is about 3/4? but its not made for that. For veneer work over 12? x 12? in size I would recommend something larger due to the capacity of the overhead arm.

Rufus

-- Always remember half of the people in this country are below average.
GO PACK GO

Offline Proxprof

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 05:45:14 pm »
Dave,

I don't exactly know what you mean with non-standard blades, but mine takes the normal 13 cm (=5").

As I said, I'm completely satisfied with my saw and I made several different things with several sorts of wood.
I can't compare it with a Hegner machine but it certainly isn't a bad saw.

Richard

Becky

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 10:18:15 pm »
I think a saw that requires the use of a tool to change the blade would drive me insane pretty quickly.  If one end changes by hand that would help at least a little.  I can just so easily imagine me losing track of the tool (I don't know how specialized it is) and then being screwed until I can replace it.  That being said, it is a reflection of how I work and my understanding of my personal weaknesses - that I would lose the darn thing.  While I personally would choose a different saw, your habits and, perhaps more importantly, your organizational skills, might make it work.  Especially if there is some other reason you particularly want that saw.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:16:00 am »
My first scroll saw was an off the wall brand and cost $100.00 which required a 3 mm hex (allen) wrench and cap screw for the blade holders. I was perfectly happy with it for two or three years because I didn't know any better. I kept extra cap screws on hand all the time and went through several allen wrenches.
Then a friend introduced me to a Dremel saw which had small knobs for the blade change and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It cost $200.00 but, I thought it was well worth it for another three years or so.
Then I happened upon Steve Good's website and he convinced me that a DeWalt saw was the only way to fly and as far as I'm concerned, he was right! I don't do as much scrolling as I used to and maybe someday I'll want to try another saw but, right now, I'm a happy as a clam.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi