Author Topic: Scrimper from Gloucestershire England  (Read 2184 times)

scrimper

Scrimper from Gloucestershire England
« on: July 19, 2014, 06:06:43 pm »
Just found this forum, I have been a member of the scrollsaw section of UK workshop for some time where I use the same scrimper name as here.
My fret-sawing roots go back to the 1920's when my Grandfather was a keen fret-worker who ran a shop selling fret-working tools and other interesting things, he also taught fretwork to interested youngsters, I still have a lot of the old Hobbies and Handicrafts fret-work designs that he collected together with his Hobbies A1 treadle machine.

My dad also was a fret-worker and I used to help him in the late 1950's when he made toys and other fretwork items to sell, I was just a young lad then but I have always been interested in fretwork and particularly the original Hobbies company of Dereham.

I own three powered fretsaws, a Hegner Multicut 2S Variable, a Diamond (British made machine) and a cheapo saw that was given to me. I also have the Hobbies A1 treadle machine and several Hobbies hand-frames.

As well as fretwork I also do lot's of other woodwork mostly making things from scrap wood (hence my name Scrimper) I love making whirligigs and have quite a few around our gardens.

I hope my chatter is not too boring to people here, it's not easy being a newbie!

pddesertrat

Re: Scrimper from Gloucestershire England
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:11:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  Looks like I could learn a lot from you!  Sure would like to see pictures of your project and some of the old equipment you have.  Glad you are here.

Beautiful dog, also.

Rover2

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:52:46 pm »
Glad to have you with us and look forward to learning a few things.  Please show us some of your fathers and grandfathers work along with some of your own.  By the way,  I am Al from Tennessee USA.  Very interesting to be coming from a family of scrollers!!

Al

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 09:00:46 pm »
Glad you found us scrimper. Hi I'm Russ from Florida your local moderator. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Woodchuck

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:06:39 pm »
Welcome to a great group of people here. First  wood cutting experience here was with pedal powered scrollsaw in grandfathers basement.

A few thoughts on pedal powered scrollsaws...1. They are variable speed---you can peddle faster or slower.   2. variable torque---need more force you stand up when you peddle. 3. flesh sensing technology----you immediately stop pedalling if you fingers hit the blade :) :) :)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:47:38 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 08:26:45 am »
Welcome from West Texas
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:27:40 am »
Hi Scrimper, welcome to the forum.  I'm Marg from Australia.  Chatter away we are all interested.  ;)
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 06:08:16 am »
Welcome from Qu?bec, Canada
Pierre

scrimper

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 06:01:58 pm »
Many thanks to everyone for the welcome.  :D

scrimper

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 06:13:21 pm »

Beautiful dog, also.

Thanks. his name is Max the 3rd. He is a rescue dog in more than one sense! He was found wandering in the streets starving and injured after being dumped by his previous (unknown) owner. We took him on in March 2012 from a GSD rescue charity. In Jan 2013 he repaid the favour to us when he woke us up at 4:00am to find the house filled with choking smoke, rushing downstairs we found a room on fire, the rescue services said that without Max waking us up the smoke would have sent us to sleep permanently. Without Max there is no doubt that we would not be here today and our house would have been destroyed so we do owe this dog so very much.

pddesertrat

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:04:01 pm »
Don't know how anyone could treat the dog poorly, he is such a beauty.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 04:30:56 pm »
welcome to the forum i'm Todd from NL Canada.by the way thats a beauty of a dog.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

SMF

Teknoromi