Author Topic: remilling decking timbers HELPPPPPP QUICK  (Read 1271 times)

scrollingboy2014

remilling decking timbers HELPPPPPP QUICK
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:32:32 pm »
Hey guys
darragh here
Planing on remilling some timber at the weekend any tips
it is manly ceder from a decking my dad pulled out (i got about 1ton of free 16 foot lenghts)!
have a new bandsaw and jointer will i squre up 2 sides and put it through the planer thicknesser? i am using it for christmas compound cutting
Thanks Darragh

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: remilling decking timbers HELPPPPPP QUICK
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:59:05 am »
I mill all my lumber from rough.  I wouldn't necessarily mill it all at once.  You might consider doing it as needed.  Even after milling the lumber may continue to warp, etc, so I let mine sit until needed and then mill to the thickness I need.  I would suggest you get a scanner like a board wizard to check for nails and minor metal pieces embedded in the boards.  One trip through the joiner or planner with a hidden nail can ruin a new set of blades.  The small ones aren't real expensive.  You have the process fight.  Join 1 face, then 1 edge.  Trim the other edge on the tablesaw or bandsaw, then run through the thickness planer for consistent thickness.

Here is a link to a site that explains the process in detail:  http://www.woodworking.com/ww/Article/Face-Side-Face-Edge-and-Width-7607.aspx
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:47:09 am by BilltheDiver »
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

scrollingboy2014

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:03 am »
Thanks billthediver

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 02:54:18 pm »
Bill is right on the money -just to add , even painted wood can over heat and ruin planner blades ,
plus anything painted I can almost gaurantee youll find nails ( im a former woodshop teacher )

SMF

Teknoromi