Author Topic: Delta scroll saw help ASAP  (Read 3314 times)

scrollingboy2014

Delta scroll saw help ASAP
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:02:34 am »
Hi guys i am 12 years old and would like to know if anyone has a new delta scrollsaw? i am quite interested in getting one of them or an excalibur. if anyone has one could you tell me are they any good? I currently have a scheppach decoflex it is quite good but i am hungry for more power!!!!! i live in ireland also

thanks
darragh
ireland

psst here is the link for the delta saw    http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/scroll-saws/item/40-694?category_id=48

pddesertrat

Re: Delta scroll saw help ASAP
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:57:03 am »
Darrah, I do not have a Delta, but I have a Excalibur.  I really shouldn't say much about the Excalibur, I have only had it a few weeks.  My concern with the Delta is not the saw, itself, but Delta has a reputation of lacking in customer support.  I'm sure someone that has a Delta will speak up.  I have heard nothing but good about the support you can get for the Excalibur, but that is here in the U.S.  If you have access, a DeWalt is a good saw also, although I can not vouch for their support either.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 09:05:33 am »
hi
 like your choice of saw, however I'm afraid it wont happen, Delta stopped making 240 volt machines some years ago, so the only chance you will have is with a second hand one.There are few often available on E bay and would suggest that you look for something like a 40-540 it has variable speed but is not quite as fast as the one you already have. Also the  Delta saw that you have left a link to is a copy of the Dewalt 788 of which also turn up from time to time but can be expensive even second hand. That said the Excalibur is available new from Axminster Tools
good Luck

Dave

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:58:11 am »
I had a Delta at one time(about six years ago) but, I sold it when I bought a DeWalt saw.
It was a good saw and I din't have any trouble with it. I consider it an good entry level saw.
The guy that bought it doesn't use it much so I can't get a comment from him about it.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

scrollingboy2014

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:28:11 am »
thanks guys for all the help excalibur 21 for christmas i suppose yayyy
darragh :o

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 07:52:17 pm »
Can't go wrong with the excalibur I have the 16 inch model and have put many uses to it, and love it, never has given me any problems. I started with a craftsman that last all of a year before it wore out or I wore it out then moved up to a excalibur.

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 03:57:58 pm »
The delta company use to be one of the best companies to deal with with outstanding service ,
but yes your right -they went the opposite way - way south .
I would say (from recent experience ) the Excalibur  ( have heard some not so nice things about the newer model Dewalt )
Im hoping someday soon  they bring manufacturing back to Canada .

I worry about how fast these companies go in and out of business -parts would be my first concern .

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:01:42 pm by puzzleguy »

pddesertrat

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »
Well I have a DeWalt type 2 and know several others that do also.  I really think, from what I have read and experienced the horror stories about the type 2 are when they first started having them made elsewhere. They have long since fixed the problems that were first encountered with them.  I have not had any problem with mind.  And none of the others that have them, that I personally know have had any major problems.  Just my opinion.  That being said, I am not confident in getting good customer service on it or any DeWalt product.  I have never received a response from DeWalt on any DeWalt product I own, that I have had a question about.  I have heard nothing but good about customer service with the Excalibur from Seyco. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:30:15 pm by pddesertrat »

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 02:40:46 pm »
I have an older Delta
When I had to do some repair on it,it took 6 months to get the parts.
So now my main saw is a RB Hawk I picked up at a good price.
If I was buying new it would be Excal.
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 02:59:31 pm »
Im curious about part availability in Ireland -If you were in the US ,
Id have no problem suggesting Seyco -not sure how things are in Ireland -
wether you have decent tech support on the Excalibur .
Parallel Arm saws dont cut as fast , but tend to be trouble free for the most part -
and extremely durable - In my eyes their main problem  ( at least as far as im concerned )
is that thin blades like 0/2 and 3 brake fairly quickly -

What type of projects are you interested in , or what uses do you intend for it if ?
even thou Im into Hegner -Id suggest a Hawk ( if a parallel saw is in your future )
But do check on support and parts for Excalibur !
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:03:16 pm by puzzleguy »

SMF

Teknoromi